Intake Boot "hose" clamps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake Boot "hose" clamps?

I'm changing out all the rings on my bike with the kit from www.cycleorings.com and I think I've discovered that my intake boot clamps are just exhausted. When I'm tightening them onto the carbs the screws are bottoming out - and potentially not tightening all the way, allowing for some air leakage...

Can I just use the same hose-style clamps that hold on the air filters? Or does the rubber get so hot I'll need to order something fancy and special.

Thanks,

Alexander

Those jubilee clips are no good - they're too wide and you'll ruin your hoses or they'll keep slipping off the carbs. The proper things are cheap enough to buy.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I would not use hose clamps on the intake boots. They present a risk of cutting into the rubber if overtightened.

You can order new intake clamps from Z1 for about $4 apiece. Part No. 09402-60208.

Comment

Though of course you should maybe also consider replacing the boots themselves - they should be buttery soft. You're lucky - you can still buy them new for your bike.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

You will be fine with the chrome hose clamps... but beware that over tightening them will cause the little groves to cut into rhe rubber over time. Z1 has them for $20 bucks. Dont try to order them from suzuki.. last time i did the part number was that of plastic handlebar cableties.

Comment

Haha... we mustve all been typing at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
              Though of course you should maybe also consider replacing the boots themselves - they should be buttery soft. You're lucky - you can still buy them new for your bike.
              Even if they are buttery soft, they can still crack on you. Ask me how I know (and have the clamp part no. at hand for Z1).

Comment

The boots are buttery soft and squish easily, I'd love to buy new ones but I am literally out of money. I just spent my last $150 on a new petcock, gas cap, O-rings, gaskets & shims.

Comment

They're $2.67 at Boulevard Suzuki,
                  item number 18. It's the right part for the bike.
                  sigpic
                  Steve
                  "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Working...
                  X