Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ANOTHER Fuel Leak Issue

OK so here's the story
    79 GS1000L, recent carb rebuild, brand new petcock. Losing fuel out #2 carb overflow. Rolling into the parking lot, I let off gas, couple seconds later here comes a little fuel on the ground. Sitting still, rev the motor briefly and let off, there drains #2.
    "Thinking" that I've repeatedly read here (I can't find specific posts) this is a result of float set too high.
    Also thinking that I read I can remove the float bowl without taking off the carbs. Obviously would like to avoid removing carburators if possible. Am I remember something I actually read or would this be another in a long series of delusions?
    I guess I'll need to invest in the float bowl plug hose deal.
    Any confirmation or beat downs would be appreciated.

thanks
    Rick

I think youve got it backwards...float level too low. Thus its allowing too much gas to fill the bowl before shutting off the flow and then it overflows. go 1MM higher on that carb. If youre at say 23 then go to 24. As has been stated somewhere around here, the defaults stated in tha manuals are just that..DEFAULTS. Each carb may be slightly higher or lower. The best way to tell is with the clear tubing along side the bowl method and actually see where the levels are at both running and not running.

EDIT..Be sure youre checking the HGTS withn the baowl gaskets removed..from the little raised ridge on the body itself is where you measure from...

Last edited by chuck hahn; 07-16-2012, 04:19 PM.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

got it! Yeah, I'm challenged with spatial relationships... and then explaining them. The fuel level too high because float too low!
      When I did the floats upon rebuild i DID remember to measure with gasket off.
      I think what I'll do is the clear tube trick and check all the carbs and remove and adjust them all.
      My height needs to be to just under the top of the bowl then? I've never been clear about that...

Comment

Working...
      X