550 twin carb throttle slide difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

550 twin carb throttle slide difference

I have taken apart both carbs and the throttle valves are different between the two sets. the flat bottem ones are off the 86 550ef and the stepdown ones are off an 85 550e. there are adjustable needles in both sets as well, and i hear all about shimming the needles, is that the same as changing the clip position? just wondering what slides to use and if jetting is different because of the different shape?

[IMG]http://postimage.org/image/5r8scn9ep/[/IMG]

Last edited by Guest; 07-16-2012, 07:56 PM.

GOsh Adam wee need to see pictures......

edit

oops
    I have 4 racks of carbs off this generation of 550 and I am at a loss
    I am sure all of mine have the step in them
    going to go check now but I reckon there would be no harm as long as they were all matching.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-16-2012, 04:52 PM.

Comment

I really need to organize that pile of parts!

OK i have 4 sets of carbs 2 of which are Canadian and 2 from the USA
      I know they are US models cos they have there adjustment screws sealed.

only one USA set uses the steps
      The set that uses the steps has no visible part number

It is possible that there is some perverse engineering magic for California specifications

The tiny step obviously blocks more of the throttle body at the closed throttle position.

The bike would be on its idle jet here and depending on where the mains kick in this step may smooth out the transition and do something to affect emissions.

Comment

Oh and dude if you are the guy with the ignitor for sale DO NOT SELL IT!

Its damned hard to find once you blow one. I have several of these and would not part with one for less that 150 or more.

Comment

I added a picture of the steps. hoping someone knows what type are better to run if any?
          thanks for the advice JEEPRUSTY, i had alot of people trying to get it for less, now i know

Comment

Working...
          X