Carb Rebuild Kit Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Rebuild Kit Advice

I just bought 4 Carb rebuild kits and have a few questions.

1. Will I need to re-sync my carbs after I take them apart and put them back together again?

2. I kinda remember reading somewhere on this forum that the jets should be turned out 2/3 a turn. Is that right?

3. Any advice from you wily old vets here would be HUGELY appreciated. I'm a little anxious about the whole thing.

send the kits back......

get O rings from www.cycleorings.com and get the intake O rings as well, and the SS screws

got to this page

and get the rebuild instructions for your particular carb set

have carbs in the cleaning solution at least 24 hours

don't take shortcuts, and you will have much better luck at a good running set of carbs

Comment

^^what he said..
      sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
      .................________-|___\____
      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Yikes!!!!!!!!!

Comment

They are right most of the kits are not worth the price, the jets are not as good as oem (just clean old ones unless stripped). Also they don't always include all the o-rings you'll need to replace. Kit from cycle-o-rings will, and order o-rings for the carb. boots attached to the engine, if not replaced can cause lean conditions. Just follow the instructions and you shouldn't have any problems. And yes you'll need to sync. them after you are done. The instructions will tell you how to bench sync. them before putting them back on bike. Then you will need a carb. sync. tool once you can get it running. Also don't forget to do a valve adjustment before you put carbs. back on and adjust them. Also check out the insrutions on Basscliff's site about adjusting mixture screws using th highest idle method. terrylee

Comment

what they said. send the kits back or you'll be sorry

Comment

Ok, I will. Thanks for the advice everyone. I read BassCliff's run through on Valve adjustments and am going to do that first. Where is the best place to buy a new valve cover gasket, half moons and breather gasket?

Comment

Originally posted by IcyHotUrBeanBag View Post
                I read BassCliff's run through on Valve adjustments and am going to do that first.
                Wow, that's different. How often do we read that?

(Sorry, I"ll leave the answer to someone who's recently done the job).
                and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                __________________________________________________ ______________________
                2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by IcyHotUrBeanBag View Post
                  Ok, I will. Thanks for the advice everyone. I read BassCliff's run through on Valve adjustments and am going to do that first. Where is the best place to buy a new valve cover gasket, half moons and breather gasket?
                  Most all vendors have the valve cover gasket but I'd try to get oem if ya can. Same with the moons. I wouldnt even worry with removing the breather.
                  sigpic

82 GS850
                  78 GS1000
                  04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                  .................________-|___\____
                  ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Working...
                  X