• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 gs750 hesitation

Well, i've just recently boughten a 79 gs750. The PO had pods on it, and
    supposedly changed the carbs to new ones, because the clutch cable was
    making it run rich? Anyways, whats happening is when i get her to start, i
    must use the choke, and keep it on for a couple minutes, then once shes able
    to idle with out it, i cant even touch the throttle, immediately when i give it
    throttle it starts to die, and it will idle irregularly, until it seems to "catch"
    then it idles at 2000 nice and smooth, and i can rev it up. Once i get her into
    gear, i have to take off at around 3000-3500 rpm or else it will die. If i start
    to slow down, i have to find neutral before i stop otherwise it will die. When
    it dies after its warmed up it still goes through the irregular idle, then it
    catches and im fine again.

When i try and accelerate it wants to hesitate. It kind goes the stops the goes
    then stops.

The only thing i can think of is floats not working properly, or others had said
    bad gas? What are your guys input on this? Any help is greatly appreciated!

start reading you have some work to do

Comment

oh yea welcome to the forum, might want to put the area you live in, some one might give you a hand.

Comment

I've gone through bikecliffs website, very imformative! But which way should i go?

Comment

clean the carbs, replace the intake boots, read about sealing the air filter, adjust the valves, you have a old bike that needs some maintenance.

Comment

Simple choice really. Check everything on Cliff's list.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Ok, thanks! I guess ill clean the carbs, im pretty sure the boots have been replaced, no cracking or anything, and the PO replaced the carbs. Im plannin on checkin the valves, just have to get my gasket and feeler gauges. Thanks again!

Comment

Even if the boots are good replace the boot orings. Its just like when you buy a car. Replace the plugs,wires,oil,blah blah, so you know when it was done. These old bikes just have a few extra items on the list

Comment

Working...
                X