GS300L not getting fuel to motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS300L not getting fuel to motor

This project has been a complete nightmare from beginning to end. I've invested about $1200 into this bike (including cost of the bike). When I got it to run for the first time I thought most of my issues where all petcock issues since it was leaking/ vacuum leaks ect. I bought a brand new one that works great but I'm still having horrible carb issues. The float bowls fill up but it seems that there is no gas getting to the motor the plugs are completely dry. If I cover the intake and "hand choke" the carbs they just spray gas all over.

I've taken the carbs apart and cleaned out everything I possibly can multiple times but its still not evening wanting to crank. What's strange is I had it running and after a week of sitting there is no luck even getting it to cough.

Any ideas? Can I just buy brand new carbs to slap on it?

You getting spark from the plugs ?

Comment

yes I have spark for sure. I tested this by placing the plug on the head while cranking. I even double checked it's gapped correctly before putting the plugs back in.

I haven't tested compression but i had it running and decent less than a month ago. I don't think compression is an issue here.

a motor needs Fuel, air, spark and compression to work and the plug on the left cylinder is dry almost always. So i just need to figure out what is causing the no fuel issue.

Comment

How did you clean them last time? Did you completely disassemble and dip or did you just spray cleaner through the holes. To my novice eye, it sounds like they are still gunked up pretty good and need to be cleaned PROPERLY again per the instructions found on the site. Then, bench synch, set your mixture screws to 3 turns from lightly seated, and prime the bowls. Once that is done, start it up with choke and tune from there.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
          How did you clean them last time? Did you completely disassemble and dip or did you just spray cleaner through the holes. To my novice eye, it sounds like they are still gunked up pretty good and need to be cleaned PROPERLY again per the instructions found on the site. Then, bench synch, set your mixture screws to 3 turns from lightly seated, and prime the bowls. Once that is done, start it up with choke and tune from there.

Yea, What he said.
          It should at least start.

Comment

completely cleaned the carbs out again and dipped them. Replaced the spark plugs and the bike fired right up... but then it shut off completely and is back to just constantly turning over with no fire. I think my starter motor short circuited and almost welded the terminal to the ground. So I'm off to the electrical section now... haha

Comment

How long did you dip them for? How did you determine if all of the passages are open? (obviously some of them are not)

Is you gas tank full of rust?

Is the petcock screen blocked?

If the float bowls are getting fuel but the engine is not, something in the carburetor is still blocked.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
              X