Fuel tubes on VM carbs question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel tubes on VM carbs question?

It really seems/appears that these o-rings are actually molded right in, is it possible? The material around them is actually a rubber/plastic too. I was trying to replace the F-seals in Bob's kit
    Also, think I should use carb cleaner on bodies after dip to remove any dip residue? They seem "wet" in spots after blown and sat a day? just don't want new seals compromised...TIA!
    Last edited by Guest; 10-16-2012, 09:17 PM.

There are no Orings in those..the ridge is molded in the plastic to mimmick one though..then they are rubber dipped for sealing effect..they SUCK SUCK SUCK. They almost always start to leak afetr they are remopved from the crabs because the rubber is compressed, dried out, and will never expand again to reseal properly. I STRONGLY suggest you get with Z1 and get the meatl ones that do actually take repairable orings that are in the kit. Do it now and save another round of carb removal and tear down to replace them.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

As i am spraying all the ports out when i remove them from the dip, I always wash down the bodies too. Take a tooth brush and baking soda to clean the bodies off good. Or use a wire wheel like I do. You can also check out that other guys thread about alternate cleaning metods..I have posted pics and a explanation of my method there.

1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        There are no Orings in those..the ridge is molded in the plastic to mimmick one though..then they are rubber dipped for sealing effect..they SUCK SUCK SUCK.
        They have actually worked fine for me, except the one that was broken. They have always sealed just fine. Once in a while they seep a little until the rubber swells up then they seal tight, no big deal.

The metal ones with o rings have leaked a lot more often, but new o rings is an easy fix for that.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Chucks right. Go ahead and plan on replacing them if they end up leaking... or hedge our bet and do it now. If they did not leak before you removed them they may after you put them back in.. mine did and I got the upgrades from Z1. Yours might not leak if you re-use them, but just be ready for the possibility.

tp
          Last edited by Guest; 10-14-2012, 11:34 AM.

Comment

And MUCH MORE reliable for the orings than the roll of the dice on the plastic ones..like you said..they leaked right from jump street ( until and IF they swell up )... metal and oring ones dont.

Comment

OK, Chuck. You have my permission to use the metal ones and mess around with orings all you want.

I'll keep my non leaky plastic tubes as they are.

Comment

The biggest mistake i find people make with the Orings..being on fuel tubes or on pil,ot and mixture screws..is that they dont lube the holes and the orings with a thin smear of some grease. They need lubed so the orings slide down the holes without scraping or actually grabbing enought to be rolled out of the grooves. Dry installation is a potential for rips and trouble in general.

Comment

A good idea to lube the plastic ones too, spray silicone lube works well.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    i smear them with silicone grease, never had one leak yet.
                    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      Tom's right - I've never thrown any of those plastic ones away. They do shrink when removed from the carbs and left to dry out but if you just toss them in some petrol for a few minutes they swell up as good as new.
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer
                      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Wow, lots of feedback, Thanks! I will of course try to reuse cause I'm an impatient cheap son of a bitxx..lol. If they leak, I will get the new ones indeed, Thanks. wish I woulda ordered new bowl gaskets now can't wait, so will try my hand at fabricating new ones...

Comment

I've used thin smear of gasket maker (fuel safe type of course) on some of my carbs that had leaks as well, worked like a charm.
                          Rob
                          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Got my 1st bowl gaskets done! Looks like I'm saving $40.00 on new ones

Comment

When you make your own gaskets one of the key checks to make is that they don't foul the floats.

Looking good.
                              79 GS1000S
                              79 GS1000S (another one)
                              80 GSX750
                              80 GS550
                              80 CB650 cafe racer
                              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                              X