Very hard starting GS550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very hard starting GS550

I recently purchased an 81 GS550L pretty much all original but not really nice. It is extremely hard to start. I'm thinking fuel issues but may be way off. Starting fluid does not help it either.

I just pulled the "Empty" air box off and am running it with nothing for filtration tonight just to see if I get any difference in it.

I haven't checked compression yet but will do so tomorrow. It seems to be running a bit hot also. I opened the timing cover but did not see any slots for timing adj.

Any clues? It doesn't like any throttle when trying to start until it starts hitting a bit then takes it slowly.

Originally posted by Charley Davidson View Post
    I recently purchased an 81 GS550L pretty much all original but not really nice. It is extremely hard to start. I'm thinking fuel issues but may be way off. Starting fluid does not help it either.

I just pulled the "Empty" air box off and am running it with nothing for filtration tonight just to see if I get any difference in it.

I haven't checked compression yet but will do so tomorrow. It seems to be running a bit hot also. I opened the timing cover but did not see any slots for timing adj.

Any clues? It doesn't like any throttle when trying to start until it starts hitting a bit then takes it slowly.
    New to you bike , 31 years old is going to need maintenance. Carb cleaning , valve adjustment, electrics checked out and connections cleaned, grounds cleaned up and fluids changed. Plus your bike will not run correctly with out an air filter never mind no air box at all. the air needs to be restricted or some super extra large jets installed and you are not ready for that.Plus go to the general forum and introduce your self , where you are from, and add you bike to your signature so others won't have to guess what you are working on, and also get your welcome, which is posted as a sticky for all new members to read on the forums page . Stick with it it's not that hard it only has 4 pistons how hard can it be.
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Welcome, Charley, and do everyone a favor. Select the upper left menu item UserCP. Enter your location so we know if we are close enough to offer assistance.
      In your signature, put the year and model of your bike so we know exactly what you are referring to in each post.
      And, as hjfisk requested, introduce yourself to the forum members.
      And congrats on acquiring what will soon be a very fine machine.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
        And, as hjfisk requested, introduce yourself to the forum members.
        Must have posted it in the wrong area

Comment

Good. Now go back to the GS Owners section and click on the Sticky on top. Look at the MegaWelcome. Bookmark Cliff's website. There is lots of info there, including manuals, wiring diagrams, and tutorials. Basically, you will want to go through all the systems and get them up to snuff. The Parts suppliers are listed there as well. Get it running good stock, and then go to town on the customization. We like to see well done customs, but you really need to go through everything first or you will have issues. As BassCliff is fond of saying, you need to fix 20 years of neglect on a 30 year old bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Charley Davidson View Post
            ....... It is extremely hard to start. ...............
            ........... It doesn't like any throttle when trying to start until it starts hitting a bit then takes it slowly............
            Carb cleaning, and not just spraying carb cleaner here and there. But disssasemble and 24 hour carb dip. Look at "Carb Cleaning Series" in the "Garage" section back on GSR home page.
            Replacement carb o-Rings from RObert Barr Cycle O-Rings.

Check/Adjust valves clearance.
            (get service manaul).

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I pulled carbs apart and cleaned them with carb spray, all I had with no other running transportation to get anything else.

I have one bad "o" ring on the needle seat. There was lots of rusty looking crud and they cleaned up well. I reassembled them and went on to the petcock which has the handle/lever broken off, the petcock was not letting much gas through so I disassemble it, blew it out and replaced it without the diaphram (plugging the vaccum line) The carbs just flooded gas out of all 4 but it started ok. I put it back together with the diaphram but now I'm back to hard starts although the diaphram is working.

Now I gotta figure out transportation issues as I just got called to go back to work Monday at my welding job & tranny is out of my truck & the motorized bike I just built was stolen then returned in non running condition Grrrrr

Comment

Charlie Davidson said....
                "....There was lots of rusty looking crud and they cleaned up well. "

During your previous starts, some of this crud was pulled up into very tiny passages and is now camping out there- this is why the full strip and dip is required or your bike will likely not be happy at starts or idling. Thirty year old o-rings in carbs need replacing; Petcock needs replacing- how does tank inside look ? stuff here will make its way to carbs eventually, so best to confront it now and avoid cleaning carbs two or more times.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Adjust the valves.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                  X