Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does prime setting = fuel leaking always?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does prime setting = fuel leaking always?

Ok, I test fired my GS550M yesterday using an old lawn mower gas tank for a fuel cell. Obviously this setup has no vacuum controlled fuel flow and althought he bike ran, I had a drip from somewhere within the fuel bank. I couldn't tell for sure where as it seemed to be running along the front carb rail.

Anyway, will running a setup that uses pure gravity feed fuel delivery, say like running off the "prime" setting, always result in gas leaking from the carbs? Shouldn't the floats shut the fuel flow off once the bowls are full?

Thanks.
    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

you should not get any leaks as long as everything is set correctly. try and trace where the leak is coming from. could be a bad hose joint or the float heights stuck or set incorrectly
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

First ? = nope
      Second ? = Yep, floats with good fuel needle seats should hold fuel back for a while
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

no isues using the gravity feed way, and no leaks I could detect....

Comment

There has been a long standing argument about this.
          Most of the owners manuals have a caution about leaving the bike in "Prime" as the carbs could overflow. Does that mean it will leak? Possibly.
          Yes the carb float shut off valve should shut off the fuel once the bowl is full.
          I have two bikes and have left them in Prime by forgetting not to turn them to the on or Reserve position and yes they both leaked gas. I have tried to be very careful about not leaving them in Prime again. But just recently I did, but this time no leak? Only thing I can think of that was different was bike was on centerstand where previous times sidestand. Perhaps the angle the carbs were sitting while on the sidestand had something to do with it.
          If the engine isn't running you'd probably be better off just to disconnect your make shift fuel tank.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Cool. Thanks for all the input. That's what I figured but this is the first bike I've had with this kind of petcock setup. I will begin looking for the source of the leak. It's probably the fule line itself. There's no clamp on the carb side of it. Unfortunately, that means pulling the rack out
            1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

you dont need to pull the rack off to get to the fuel line
              1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                you dont need to pull the rack off to get to the fuel line
                True, but reconnecting a fuel line to that T is maddeningly difficult with the rack on the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
                  True, but reconnecting a fuel line to that T is maddeningly difficult with the rack on the bike.
                  You're doing it wrong.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    You're doing it wrong.
                    By putting the fuel line onto the T before installing the carb rack?

If there's a cool trick for putting the line onto the T with the carb rack in place, I am all ears.

Comment

it is so simple, get one hand in underneath to stop the T from turning, push the pipe on with the other hand.
                      you do need the tank off and OK........i have fairly thin hands, i suppose if you have big hands and fat sausage fingers then i guess it could prove tricky
                      1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Highway_Glider
                        I saw a posting once...I never got to do it myself but.

You use a stiff wire. You push it through the fuel line then into the T fitting, Then you push the fuel line on, turning and pushing.

DP
                        I have done this using a welding rod, anything skinny enough and stiff enough would work. A little lube helps too.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Neat trick! I may give it a try just because its so dang aggravating dealing with the rack. But first I need to figure out if that is indeed the source which is kinda tricky in and of itself with the carbs installed.
                          1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

i had old 8mm fuel line with clamps leaking on the rack, there was 1 spot a long screw driver can just reach into to undo clamp on the rail, but i could not see it while i did it, i did this worked a treat with correct size fuel line, no clamps needed scroll down the post. oh and i've got 2 meters spare 7mm fuel line if any one around bris is in need of some
                            Last edited by Guest; 10-23-2012, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                              I have done this using a welding rod, anything skinny enough and stiff enough would work. A little lube helps too.
                              Taken out of context, this would be a very naughty post.

The fuel level in the carbs is high enough that if the bike is on the sidestand fuel could make it out of the vents if the bike leans far enough. Also, leaving the fuel on prime will cause fuel loss since gasoline evaporates from the carbs and will slowly replace through the PRI setting. Might not seem like much but over a few weeks it adds up.
                              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                              X