Petcock question....is this normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock question....is this normal?

I only have had to deal with the 80' leverless petcocks before. On the leverless petcock, the fuel line port a brass tube cast right into the body. This is on my new 650E.

If I push this main fuel line L into the petcock body it sort of goes on tight like a tapered hole/friction fit. I push it in and give it a little twist at the same it ends up nice and tight, but it just seems wrong to have a design like that. Seems like it could possible wiggle loose. Has no o ring or sealant or anything.
    Is this oem?

When you install it in the correct position, use a drop of this: http://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Loctite/LT37484.html

Comment

The '81 and '82 petcocks have different part numbers.
      That's looks like the one in the '81 parts fiche, but they don't show a good pic in the '82 parts fiche.
      No, I do not think it is normal for that part to come off, I do believe that's a pressed fit assembly and it just worked it's way loose.
      Fiche for '81.

Fiche for '82.

You need to secure it somehow with some gas proof sealer. I don't know if I'd trust JB weld. If I didn't think I could find a really good way to secure it and gas proof it, I'd seriously consider replacing it. The last thing you would ever want it fuel flowing freely on a hot engine .
      sigpic
      Steve
      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Me on the phone calling some friends-
        Me- "Hey John, its Adam...do you have any sleeve retainer I can use?"

John- " WTF is sleeve retainer?"

lol , I am surely not going to dish out 17 bucks for this product....what are the alternatives? Sonething I have in the garage must work.

Comment

You can buy the tiny tube of it for under $4.00.

Comment

Agreed Steve, I want to use some product to seal it but am hesitant on the risk. And yes, I saw the fisches but ya cant really tell much from them.

Comment

Originally posted by GSScoobie View Post
              You can buy the tiny tube of it for under $4.00.
              Cool, let me get on the horn with Napa and see what they say. thx

Comment

The stock petcock had both vac and fuel line facing rear (correct replacement does also). These petcock bodies can also be finished with fuel fitting pointing opposite -one side gets plugged and other gets pressed in fitting.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks for the info, I found a small tube of the stuff. Just have to go half hour to get it. Another day maybe. ha

Comment

LOud et,

make sure the fitting and hole are meticliously clean (it is not in the photo)
                    Put the fitting in the freezer for a at least half hour,
                    support the other side and whack it in with a piece of wood or small soft hammer.

it wont come out, its a slightly tapered press fit from factory.
                    you can use the goo but its not nesscessary.

Comment

Originally posted by john82q View Post
                      LOud et,

make sure the fitting and hole are meticliously clean (it is not in the photo)
                      Put the fitting in the freezer for a at least half hour,
                      support the other side and whack it in with a piece of wood or small soft hammer.

it wont come out, its a slightly tapered press fit from factory.
                      you can use the goo but its not nesscessary.
                      Thx, seeing that I have not done anything yet, maybe I will give it a try.

Comment

So many come loose, I just smack them back in but can never really trust it after, and they do seem to come loose again. I would rather solder it in or use some type of goop that fuel won't loosen up.....

Will solder stick to this metal?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I bet it would take solder. I am a sheet metal worker and have soldered copper, lead, galvanized, and stainless steel.
                          I doubt I will try it on this, but if I do , I will let ya know.
                          A few wacks with a hammer sounds a lot easier.

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
                            A few wacks with a hammer sounds a lot easier.
                            But they always fall out again. I'm thinking a gasoline fire in your lap at high speed in heavy traffic might not be much fun.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

its alloy, you might find it dosnt take solder so easilly. (not impossible)

or try expoxy glue.

or take to to a shop and have them press it on with several tons of pressure.

the idea with the freezer comment is to shink it so its just that little it tighter, than it would be by wacking alone. you could expand the housing too. (watch fuel fire)

Comment

Working...
                              X