Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carb Feels Rough, Metal Finish Gone (Post-Carb Dip)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Legionnaire View Post
    Okay I am just flabbergasted that it's all surface it literally looks like it destroyed the metal. Okay I will give it a shot! I should just wear my motorcycle helmet when I do it haha.

So these brushes aren't too rough to just go inside the carbs and stuff?
    All you can do is give it a shot. I know that no chemical/liquid treatment is going to improve the surface of the carbs at this point. Abrasion is the only way now. Like someone elso said, even after a good and proper carb dip, most carbs have some scaly/corrosion on them.
    And no, the brushes are not rough at all. Very feathery feeling when you put them to the carbs. I obviously still was gentle anywhere an o ring goes.
    I look forward to seeing your results.

Comment

On another note, I used berrymans on my cylinder head when I did my rebuild. I kept basting it and keeping it moist with damp rags to get the oil/carbon build up broken down.That was good, but..... THEN I did the dummy move and tried to give it a soak in some purple power or some other general purpose house wash stuff. It was acidic and left a powdery chalky growth all over the head. And on the insides where there were shiny milled aluminum it turned it dark grey/black.
      Took a lot of hand work to wire brush all that junk off the outside. I left the cam journals alone and other milled surfaces.
      I feel your pain. ha ha As long as your carb internals are ok, you will make out fine. If all else fails there is always paint.
      And honestly from your pictures, although they did change for the worse from before the dip, they dont look so bad.

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
        On another note, I used berrymans on my cylinder head when I did my rebuild. I kept basting it and keeping it moist with damp rags to get the oil/carbon build up broken down.That was good, but..... THEN I did the dummy move and tried to give it a soak in some purple power or some other general purpose house wash stuff. It was acidic and left a powdery chalky growth all over the head. And on the insides where there were shiny milled aluminum it turned it dark grey/black.
        Took a lot of hand work to wire brush all that junk off the outside. I left the cam journals alone and other milled surfaces.
        I feel your pain. ha ha As long as your carb internals are ok, you will make out fine. If all else fails there is always paint.
        And honestly from your pictures, although they did change for the worse from before the dip, they dont look so bad.
        Sheesh yeah man I will definitely give it a shot! Nothing can hurt them now...

That is a gnarly store, but it looks like your handy work saved ya. I don't really care about the outside at all, but I just don't want my jets getting clogged. So will those steel brushes get in the nooks and crannies? I feel like I am asking the same questions.. sorry!!

I thought most people would say that they look awful. That makes me feel better one of them is pretty good, but the other was already pretty grimey before things went south.

Comment

The brushes are mainly for the outside. For internal , as someone said, carb spray to get the product to the places inside and compressed air to blow it out.
          Dont let the carb spray shoot ya in the eye!
          If you spray it in one hole and it shoots out of another nicely, then you got it made. Just take note of passages that seem clogged or blocked. I am sure they are clear, or will clear easily.
          Nothin to it, but to do it!

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
            The brushes are mainly for the outside. For internal , as someone said, carb spray to get the product to the places inside and compressed air to blow it out.
            Dont let the carb spray shoot ya in the eye!
            If you spray it in one hole and it shoots out of another nicely, then you got it made. Just take note of passages that seem clogged or blocked. I am sure they are clear, or will clear easily.
            Nothin to it, but to do it!
            Yeah totally! But I don't believe any of my passages are blocked they are just deeply coated in residue. My last carbs I boiled and degreased and scrubbed like crazy and when I would use a clean white paper towel to wipe and see if it left residue it was clean. In the end my bike wouldn't idle or turn on sometimes cause the pilot jets would get clogged from the "metal dust/residue"

I seriously think I have some sort of freak thing but I will try and clean it out real nice tonight. Ain't got nothing to do but to do it

Comment

You are genius sir! I hit em with the dremel polish and they are STUPID shiny! I just need to hit every nook and cranny!

Comment

Originally posted by Legionnaire View Post
                You are genius sir! I hit em with the dremel polish and they are STUPID shiny! I just need to hit every nook and cranny!
                Stupid shiny. Lol
                Before and after pics are a must! Post em up when
                you get there.Glad its working for you. That was my secret carb trick! Lol

Comment

Okay so left was my original problem carb in this thread, and my good one I kept unshined for the picture:

Also I just can't get in the very middle of the carb with the dremel nor can I get in the skinny deep holes of the carbs. I need to go look for some new bits, but the float bowl area is nice and shiny no more garbage will be floating around.

I really thought I was screwed! I am gonna clean the other one tomorrow, but it seems like this will make my headache go away thanks so much!!
                  Last edited by Guest; 11-02-2012, 03:02 AM.

Comment

Lookin good.

Comment

Working...
                    X