No announcement yet.

Finally got my carbs done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea, maybe I'll try tomorrow..I'm done for tonight! I just went thru #4 and all is good with carb & I had checked fuel in bowls earlier and all were good..the same? Put carbs on and reassembled, #4 exhaust not hot, other 3-piping hot... I find it hard to believe it due to secondary ignition cause I switched plugs and checked for spark-just pulled all plug caps and attached a sparkplug to boot and grounded while turning over....

Comment

Another member also had a similar problem and it turned out that on one specific carb he had to dial out the needles a lot more than the others in order to get the cylinder to fire. But before you go mucking around with both the fuel and air mixture screws (5/8 for the fuel and double that for the air) smack it with a rubber hammer or something similar.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by slyone View Post
        They were at like 28mm or there abouts(didn't take exact previous measurements so I bent the tab up while carbs are upside down so I raised the level. I just pulled carbs then bowl drain screws which seemed about the same. I did a quick visual and all seems fine. Checked my fuel pilot, looked good
        Let me make sure I have this straight in my feeble little mind.

You just went through your carbs completely, put them together, did not measure anything, and expect them to run right?

Sorry, I don't think there is anything else that I can offer in this situation.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Let me make sure I have this straight in my feeble little mind.

You just went through your carbs completely, put them together, did not measure anything, and expect them to run right?

Sorry, I don't think there is anything else that I can offer in this situation.

no what I said was when I checked float bowl adj. if they were too high, I did not check to see how high...I just adj them to spec. at 24mm w/out gasket at carb body.

Comment

Did you do a bench sync? if not,or not set all the same you could have the slide closed up completely on 4 , try turning the idle screw in a little and see if it will fire.
            1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
            80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
            1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
            83 gs750ed- first new purchase
            85 EX500- vintage track weapon
            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
            If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

You could swap your plug wires, 1 & 2, and 3 & 4, then swap the input leads to the coils if you think it could be the ignition timing or wiring and see if your problem stays the same or swaps to the other cylinder.
              Also, looking at your carbs, your idle adjust screw is on top, is not installed completely? as with your cables.

sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

I gotta fly right now but I did swap coils and she appears to be running on all 4 now? Strange?...back at it in about 4 or so hours

Tried it when I got home & #4 not firing? So I checked compression and found 3 at 110 lbs. and the #4 cyl only at 30lbs (closed throttle, then tried 1/2 throttle-went right up to 125psi).! I think I'll move this to a new topic over in the engine forum
                Last edited by Guest; 11-02-2012, 10:17 PM.

Comment

If you didn't get exact measurements using a caliper, how do you know it's set right? Visual checks don't make it right, you need to measure to the specs.
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Got some new plugs today since the other ones had gone black with all the messin around. That apparently did the trick, it's firing on all 4! Now I have to get it zero-ed in..

Comment

Working...
                    X