i have pods and its very hard to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have pods and its very hard to start

hi im in need of some help first off i have an 82 gs1100g i took on somone elses project so the wiring was trash finally got that sorted out. now the other day i went out and tried to fire up the beast for the first time after the wiring. the only way to get it to run was to take a pod filter off and hold my hand over the intake and had it running until i took my hand off. now my question is does anyone have any suggestions as to what can cause this i no i am running pods but ive never had this problem ive always ran pods just left the stock exhaust i dont have a stock airbox and really dont have alot of cash right now trying to correct this with least akount of money any help is greatly appreciated!

First, what brand of pods are you using?
    Second, what jetting changes did you make from stock?
    I'll let the grammar nazis tell you where the shift keys are located.

Comment

it looks to me like they are the cheap ones off ebay and there werent any changes to jetting as far as i know

Comment

rampimpin said...." ive always ran pods just left the stock exhaust"
        and "there werent any changes to jetting as far as i know "

Someone else's handiwork is always suspect - CV carbs are finicky about airflow. Lots of posts on here lamenting cheap pods
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks. I understand that money is tight, so I will be as gentle as possible.
          First, it is nearly impossible to tune with those pods. You either need APE or K&N pods. The APEs are less expensive.
          Second, you will have to rejet. There is no other way. The bike is running far, far too lean. The best way is to purchase a Dynojet jet kit. We might be able to get you going with just main jet changes and fudging with the stock needles, but it will not run correctly until you can spring for the jet kit.
          This is an unfortunate byproduct of the far better but more complex Mikuni CV carbs.

While you are working through the shock factor, there are less expensive things you can do to prepare for these changes.

Did you perform a thorough and complete rebuild of the carbs yet?

Comment

i did not rebuild the carbs yet i did take them off clean them and put them back together i didnt start the bike until today the clean was almost 3 minths ago i need to find a thread for the rejet and cleaning yet

Comment

O.K., hold on and I will post some links for you. BRB
              Here is the rebuild procedure
              You must rebuild them using this procedure. You cannot proceed further until you do this.
              Go to cycleorings.com and purchase the o-ring set. You must use fresh o-rings.
              Failure to do these things will result in a bike that will not run correctly. Period.
              While you have them apart, record the numbers on the jets.
              Let us know when you are done and we can proceed.
              Best of luck.
              Last edited by Guest; 11-09-2012, 06:21 PM.

Comment

BTW, congrats on getting the bike going. I think I remember you from a while back when you first got on the forum.

Comment

thank you very much i will get back with you guys it might be a bit im working all next week thanks for the info

Comment

yea ive been on this forum for a while i was having problems getting wiring down in my head then one day iy just clicked took 2 hrs and had it running obviously very poor but running lol

Comment

Actually jetting changes are not necessary to get the bike to start and idle. Only when you actually open up the throttle and expect to go anywhere will jetting changes be necessary, but that's beside the point.

Another common cause of hard starting (especially when the bike is cold), is mis-adjusted valves. Do you know when the valves were last adjusted? If you don't know or don't remember, it has been too long and it needs to be done. There is plenty of information in your service manual, as well as a tutorial or three on BassCliff's site that show how to do the job.
                      If you read my sig, I even offer a spreadsheet that takes the math out of the picture and helps you keep track of your adjustments.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

alright i will have to rebuild the carb and adjust the valves i dont have a manual is there a good place to get that info ive never tackled a valve job

Comment

Originally posted by rampimpin View Post
                          alright i will have to rebuild the carb and adjust the valves i dont have a manual is there a good place to get that info ive never tackled a valve job
                          I just looked through your limited post history and saw that, although a few people pointed you to stuff on BassCliff's site, they never really gave you the "official" welcome and mentioned it.

BassCliff is one of our regulars, and a wonderful librarian. He has collected virtually everything that any of us has ever offered as a tutorial, and has a nice collection of manuals that you can download. Start by clicking HERE to go to his main page. There, you will see a list of manuals for all the bikes, just find yours, download it and save it.

By the way, you will not be doing a "valve job", you will be doing a "valve adjustment". BIG differrence.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

And be sure and use Steve's spreadsheet for adjusting the valves. If you have questions on the valve adjustment, just post in this thread rather than starting another thread.

Comment

Running the engine with stock jetting and pods will damage the engine since it will run lean and hot. Not good.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X