Excessive oil in air cleaner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excessive oil in air cleaner?

I noticed a couple drops of oil under left side(#1) of stock air cleaner, pulled side cover on box, small amount at corners but floor of box is dry. and lower box drain tube is moist/wet? That 2nd "outside" pre-filter prolly should have a cleaning and reoiling...wonder if I have excessive engine blow by thru the upper vent tube/hose? Really shouldn't, bike has been taken care of and only had 13k???
    I see where the upper vent just gets reintroduced into the air box for reburning..also I know my air box is not 100% sealed but I would think certainly fine...?

You are correct, the upper line merely routes the vapors back to the airbox. One thing you can check is to make sure the mesh 'filters' are present in the top of the valve cover (where the breather hose connects). There should be a total of four of them, it's quite common to have them fall out if you remove the breather cover during a valve adjustment. Those 'filters' do a pretty good job of separating the oil droplets from the mist that flows through them.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation, yes those screens were super clean to begin with and I did make sure they went back correctly too when I had the cover's off. I did renew the gasket as well. I figured I'd just throw it out there(here) since noticing today but I think I'll let it be until spring and then get serious with sealing tight the air box and cleaning/oiling the pre-filter. Man, those air filters are extremely expensive!! My filter "looks" very nice/clean so I don't have to go there....

Comment

Originally posted by slyone View Post
        Man, those air filters are extremely expensive!! My filter "looks" very nice/clean so I don't have to go there....
        "Expensive" depends on where you shop. Retail price for your filter is $34.28, but it's available from G&S Suzuki for $25.30.

Depending on your opinion of K&N filters, you can get an insert for $33.45 from eBay.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Another thing to keep in mind is engine braking. If you're a rider that likes to use a lot of engine braking then that will end up producing an excessive amount of oil in the air box. We all use engine braking, I'm taking about the guys that scream the motor when they down shift.

Comment

Those screens are called SEPERATOR, OIL. Basically they collect droplets of oil and drip it back into the head space. Some vapor will still contain oil and it will condensate inside the airbox....wipe it clean and ride on.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              "Expensive" depends on where you shop. Retail price for your filter is $34.28, but it's available from G&S Suzuki for $25.30.

Depending on your opinion of K&N filters, you can get an insert for $33.45 from eBay.

Oh, I thought I saw like $75.00

Originally posted by zig06 View Post
              Another thing to keep in mind is engine braking. If you're a rider that likes to use a lot of engine braking then that will end up producing an excessive amount of oil in the air box. We all use engine braking, I'm taking about the guys that scream the motor when they down shift.
              Yeah I've driven many styles the past month, now that it's running correctly I like to just pull the clutch in ,idle goes right down and I use the brakes. Seems alot of unnecessary engine wear just for slowing down..lol

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              Those screens are called SEPERATOR, OIL. Basically they collect droplets of oil and drip it back into the head space. Some vapor will still contain oil and it will condensate inside the airbox....wipe it clean and ride on.
              Now that's what I like to hear!

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                After checking the parts fiches, it would appear that it wasn't until the 1980 model year that Suzuki added a drain to the airbox for that:

Either add the nipple and drain hose or do as chuck suggested.

Comment

Appears there's either two different air cleaners for your bike, or two parts to the air cleaner.
                  Parts 2 & 3 in this fiche. One for $25 and change and the other for $50 and change. Since I don't have a '79 GS850G I don't know myself, perhaps someone will chime in and clear this mystery.
                  sigpic
                  Steve
                  "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

I believe that one is just the cage and the other includes the foam filter.

Comment

Working...
                    X