O ring for fuel intake needle valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O ring for fuel intake needle valve

Okay noob question.... where do these four 'O' rings go? I ordered a set of rings from cycleorings.com and for the life of me could not figure out where these should go ... I'm assuming my carb was missing them. I also printed out the carb rebuild tutorial and it wasn't obvious from this either. I have an 81 GS650G.

As an FYI - I decided to rebuild the carbs b/c the choke had zero effect...if it was below 85 deg forget about getting it started, but once she was, she ran great! Anyways, I fixed the choke problem, but I think I've introduced a vacuum leak somewhere...has the classic hanging idle. Yes, I did dip the carbs, yes, i made sure i was able to squirt carb cleaner through all the orifices, yes, i replaced the intake O rings as well.

Cheers
    Mike

Did you remove the float valve?

That's the little square thing with a point on one end and a little springy pin on the other.

Did you remove the part that it goes into?

You would have had to remove a Phillips head screw to remove the clamp.

Once the clamp is removed, you can remove the float valve seat, and you will find the o-ring around it.

EDIT: if you were looking at Nessism's tutorial (the best one available ), pages 44 and 45 show removing the float valve, page 53 shows the new o-ring in place, ready to install.

Last edited by Steve; 11-13-2012, 10:58 PM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If you took the carb rack apart ?/ There are fuel tubes going to the carbs . They have O rings on each end..

Comment

I had the same problem for a few minutes. It is in the float needle assembly, the only part inside the carb body (on the inside of the float bowl) that has a Philips head. If you have it already out, it is the part that the float needle goes into. It has a small mesh net on one end with the o-ring next to that. See page 45 in the carb rebuild tutorial. this is the exact part you need to change the o-ring

Well, Steve beat me to it! Still, it is the needle seat. Check it out and get pack to us!

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
          If you took the carb rack apart ?/ There are fuel tubes going to the carbs . They have O rings on each end..
          True enough, Lynn, but the thread title is "fuel intake needle valve", and he specifically mentioned "four" o-rings. The fuel transfer tubes use eight o-rings.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It must be those.
            only 4 envelopes come in Bobs CV kit:
            1 of 4 mixture screw rings
            1 of 12 - 8 for fuel tubes/ 4 for breather T rings
            1 of 4 choke rings...and
            1 of 4 inlet needle holder rings.
            They normally come with a slip of paper withe the designations on them.
            And if you followed the tutorial for rebuild the locations of the rings should have been blatently obvious.
            Also the tutorials I have seen all include a bench sync description and master idle baseline setting.
            The tutorial should easily solve this riddle.

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
              And if you followed the tutorial for rebuild the locations of the rings should have been blatently obvious.

The tutorial should easily solve this riddle.
              Sorry I wasn't able to solve this 'blatantly obvious' problem, and 'easily solved this riddle'. I'm not some 16 y/o with no experience...I'm 42 and have restored/restified my share of vehicles and keep my DD's (both 2 and 4 wheels) out of the shop most of the time. However, I spent a fair amount of time trying to figure it out, but experienced pointed to something really obvious that I was missing (hence prefacing the question as a newbie question). You know the saying about how good it feels when you stop beating your head against the wall...well I had a pretty good headache going.

I over looked it b/c the float seats simply did not want to come free from the carb bodies and I was afraid of deforming the brass seat so figured it was better to leave well enough alone. I also did not make the connection of "intake needle valve" to "float seat" and assumed any difference in the tutorial to my carbs was b/c it was from a different model GS.

For those who answered politely and tongue in cheek, I appreciate it.

Comment

I suggest you go back and get those float seats out. Use some oil spray and heat on the float seats to see if you can get those O-rings to soften up. The reason they won't come out is because the O-rings are hard and petrified.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I've seen those ports oxidize and I take some 2000 grit sandpaper and roll it up and clean them out. I use a little vasoline to lube the o-rings before reinstalling them.
                  If they won't come out without trashing them don't be afraid to hit them with heat with penetrating oil.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Dont over read into words. If you lived anywhere near me I would have pm'd to see if you needed help.
                    If you misinterpreted MY answer......just wait till you see the blunt personalities of some others here.
                    You are sure to have a burning resentment soon.
                    Glad your problem is sorted out. Keep us posted.

Comment

Working...
                    X