Will it fit??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will it fit??

Hi, can any one tell me if an exhaust off a GS1000GL (1979-1980) will fit my GS750B?

The 1000 exhaust is complete, headers, collector box & mufflers. Hopefully it will fit as i am hoping to replace my 4 into1 Motad exhaust.

Cheers

How good are your "adapting" skills?

Several months ago, Dogma tried to put an 850 exhaust on his 1000. (The 850 is pretty much identical to your 750.) I had a 1000 exhaust that I was going to put on my 850. Dogma beat me to the tools, though, and said that, although the pipes would fit into the head, the bolts for the hold-down collars have a different spacing, so the holes would have to be slotted to fit. We swapped exhaust systems and things are going well.

Now, after fitting the front end of the pipes, there is a very good chance that you will have to fabricate some brackets at the rear. Most times, that is a rather simple matter, but there are no guarantees.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The L mufflers will also be shorter than and sound different from the stock 750.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Cheers Gents, just a couple more questions:

So the fact the GL is a shaft drive, shouldn't affect it then?

Are the mounting points significantly different between models?

Are the mufflers noticeably shorter, I'm struggling to find any accurate images.

Cheers Rich

Comment

Shaft or chain should not matter (much) in this case, it's just going to be the spacing on the holes in the collars.

Can't say much about the difference in mounting points, I have not gotten to that point in the work.

Yes, the "L" mufflers are shorter. They will end just past the rear axle, the "normal" mufflers go almost all the way to the back of the tire.

This is about the best example of "normal" muffler length on an 850 that I can show from my stash of pictures.

This angle isn't the best, but you can see the mufflers are shorter on my wife's 850L

This angle might be better to show the (lack of) length.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Cheers gents

Comment

Working...
            X