Carb leaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb leaks

I have gas leaking from the vent tubes on the carb t , petcock seems to be working,r there hoses supposed to be hooked up to these 2 nipples on the carbs? thanx to anyone who can help.

sorry

its an '82 gs 750

Comment

Can't acces page

Thanks for your help tom, I can't access the page you gave me,the petcock was rebuilt,its on the center stand,and gas is leaking from the 2 overflow "t's" on either side of the the fuel line on the carb, I don't want to replace the gas filled oil until I resolve the carb leak issue.I drained the oil and chucked the filter,don't wanna waste the new Rotella I bought at Advance auto parts for $13.99!

Comment

Could be
        Bad o-rings at inlet valve
        Bad float needle and seats
        Dirt in float bowls
        Float heigth wrong
        Bad petcock
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Leaky carbs

The petcock is new,OEM,no, I havent rebuilt the carbs,this bike has 18k miles on it and I've owned it for a while,its always run like a top,can I check the floats without removing the carbs? That looks like a real pain in the a**. I have a Clymer repair manual,plus all the great info from all the experts here at the GS, I guess it will make a nice winter project if I cant figure out a way to fix the carbs, I was just gonna take the bowls off and see if theres any crud in there and make sure the floats all move freely and check the o roings too,oh, and PS thank you T n chef

Comment

If the petcock is OEM new and it's not being left in "PR" spot, your problem is internal to carbs. Yes, they are PIA to remove (especially the first time), but it's possible they have not been removed and thoroughly cleaned in 30 years. Dropping the bowls (even if you can access all the screws) and spraying gumout is a longshot. If you want this thing to run right, maintenance awaits you. That's what winter is for!
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. JDZUKI,

Here's some S.W.A.G. with links to the proper carb building procedures and such. You should also be able to find a factory manual for your bike.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Leaky carb

Thanks for the great welcome to everyone.Well, surprise.I put the carbs and tank back on and she started right up(thank u God) ,and low and behold, the air box was not installed and I noticed a trickle of gas from the #3 carb throttle opening. Bike was shut off.Just a stab in the dark here but I'm guessing its the float in the carb causing the problem. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks to basscliff n the boys.

Comment

Hi,

Maybe this (from my little website) will help.

Overflowing Carbs

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                  X