finally think i found part of my problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finally think i found part of my problem

today i was working on my bike and decided to take my carbs off since i was teari g into everything else. i pulled them off when i first got my bike to try and get the bike running. it run but very poorly, so once i knew it rani kinda of overlooked the carbs and focused on the bodywork. well now the body has gotten past my abilities i figured id take them back off to check why it was so hard to start. i took off the bowls and inspected my mains clear i never looked at my pilots before because it was relitivly clean and i didnt have the right screwdriver now after making a screw driver to fit i pulled the pilots and hily cow they were plugged badly only 2 at best of the 6 holes were open. so im hoping when i put them back on tom. it will at least idle as i have to rejet my carbs for pods anyway. but i just figured i would share my experience with everyone as im learning as i go trial and error type deal.

sry its hard to read i wasnt good in english class i no its ran instead of run lol my phone wont let.me.edit after posting

Comment

Maybe now you understand why one of our standard replies is ...

"have you dipped the carbs and replaced the o-rings?"

Oh, yeah, the other standard reply is ...

"have you adjusted the valves?"

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by rampimpin View Post
        sry its hard to read i wasnt good in english class i no its ran instead of run lol my phone wont let.me.edit after posting
        That wasn't the only problem, but this isn't English class, so don't worry about it, nobody else does.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

i have nit adjusted.my valves yet im trying work in stages i just downloaded the manual so im probably.going to tackle that next

Comment

Hi,

Yes, go through the maintenance lists and properly address every item. That's about the only way to have a safe and reliable 30+ year old motorcycle. Just in case, CLICK HERE for the "mega-welcome" that includes the maintenance lists.

Keep up the good work.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Get bthe carbs stripped down and in the dip...do the bits and pieces and the bowls in the basket first so you can be poking holes and cleaning all that while the bodies are in the bucket. If you remove the basket you can out 2 bodies in side by side. once the bodies go in that will be 2 days that youll have to do the valve adjustments. If you time manage the project logically youll only be down no more than the 3 days. Be sure to clean the grooves in the intake manifold, clean the head where the orings contact it, and use new intake manifold orings as well.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Please go find Nessism's carb rebuild procedures and follow them faithfully
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

sry for the cobfusion i dipped them already thats when i found the pilots where plugged. im putting them back together hoping i can get it to idle now, before the only way to get it to start was hold my hand over the carb. i was getting to much air i swapped mains shimmed the needle oiled my filters should be good now at least im hoping

Comment

It won't start with open carbs, it needs restriction

Did you read this?

or understand this?

It's the same with gases

See this

1A) (NEW) Trying to diagnose running problems on a bike with an unknown maintenance history. Common maintenance items like clean carbs, properly adjusted valves, no air leaks in the intake system (airbox, carb boots), a clean gas tank (no rust), and a properly functioning petcock are 100% mandatory for the bike to run properly.

and tell us how many of them you're doing. I see 1A and 1B, 3, 4 so far
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by rampimpin View Post
                      ... the only way to get it to start was hold my hand over the carb....
                      Have a look here: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes and pay particular attention to #4.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                      X