bogging down on top end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bogging down on top end?

My 81 gs750 with pods has been rejetted. I went 2 sizes up on main jet to allow it to run richer. Since I went up the problem seems worse. When I'm toward the top RPM (can't tell for sure I don't have tac) the bike bogs down. It will actually accelerate a slight bit when I throttle back. So Im good through idle and mid range but I will bog down, then I let off throttle, the bike will bump forward a slight bit, then slow down. I know I read a post that that is indicative of where to look next for rejetting but can't find it. Any ideas?

Hi,

Have you done plug chops? What do the plugs look like? Most of the time a change to pod filters will require going up 4 or more sizes. Do you have a modified exhaust too? If so, add a couple more sizes. Do more plug chops and check the mixture.

For reference, I found these on some guy's website:

For CV Carb jetting, see the very informative article at Factory Pro. Also see the carb jetting tips at Motorcyclecarbs.com, Inc.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply! I am currently up 4 sizes on main jet and my dynojet kit only had my bike (with current config) up 2 sizes. I hesitate to go up more sizes as the condition seems to have gotten worse with the last upsize? I am still searching for the post that references the condition where the bike slightly accelerates after coming off throttle. I have not tried a plug chop but I will give it a try later this week. I have tweaked a lot but I'm going back to the dynojet kit recommended components and then will chop to see where I'm at.

Comment

That sounds like a lean condition gaining power when you roll off. I would run some plug chops so you would know exactly. Dynojet jets do not have the same numbering system as stock jets.
        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Or his mains are too big making WOT rich and boggy. Easing the throttle puts it back to mid range before fouling the plugs. Do a WOT chop to be sure.

Comment

When it starts bogging down, hold the throttle steady and give it some choke. If it improves you're lean.

Comment

Did you go up with mikuni jets or dj jets?
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

They were Mikuni jets. Thanks for the replies! I was running lean..I replaced the (diaphram?)needles with slimmer ones and now I'm running perfectly. I just ran through all the gears on a test ride and was preparing to do a plug chop and choke test. I was sure that the needles would not fix the problem but they did and now just fine tuning. I have a colortune that I've been waiting to play with!!

Comment

Originally posted by robgusto View Post
                  They were Mikuni jets. Thanks for the replies! I was running lean..I replaced the (diaphram?)needles with slimmer ones and now I'm running perfectly. I just ran through all the gears on a test ride and was preparing to do a plug chop and choke test. I was sure that the needles would not fix the problem but they did and now just fine tuning. I have a colortune that I've been waiting to play with!!
                  so you installed a jet kit?

Comment

Working...
                  X