Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cleaning the inside of a fuel tank

Hi all,
    Last year as part of my 83 GS 750 ES restoration I did a fuel tank treatment. I bought it at a yamaha dealer, it was a 3 step kit that cleans the rust and coats the inside of the tank. It it was fine for a while but I started to see the coating flaking off, and when I removed the tank to drain it at end of the season the fuel was filled with flakes of the coating. it obviously didnt stick the way it was supposed to. I want to redo it with "Red Koat" and I'm wondering how I can remove the rest of the coating.any suggestions?

Have fun with that.

Next time use POR15.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Ya that's going to be a bugger. There's lots of threads on here about it, just use the search function. Haven't read much about "red koat", I'd make sure it's dependable stuff before you use it, again lots of threads on here about what is good tank liner and what is not.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

MEK or acetone to remove old liner

Phosphoric acid to remove the rust

Tons of threads in the archives detailing what to do. The devils in the details.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. bdogginit,

Sorry I'm late with your S.W.A.G. In the links below you will find all kinds of information that will help you clean your carbs, change your oil, de-rust your tank, how to post pictures, and all kinds of fun stuff. Welcome to the forum.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Basscliff
            I to de-rusted my tank using evaporust like you did but after I rinsed it out with hot water and placed the petcock and fuel sensor back within about 10 minutes, I noticed it had already started to flash rust, not horribly but enough to cause concern. What did you rinse yours with? Was I not suppose to use water?
            I also made the mistake of not getting a new petcock repair kit and had a slow leak from the fuel outlet.

Comment

Videos prepared by D-Ray about cleaning and relining a rusty tank:

In part 2 I begin the process of prepping the fuel tank for a liner kit, lots of rust! . Thanks for watchin', more to come soon!I created this video and I ow...

In part 3, I finish the prep work and begin to intsall the liner in the tank. More to come! Thanks for watchin'.I created this video and I own all rights to ...

In part 4 I complete the liner for the fuel tank, and overcome a problem with the tank vent circuit. More videos to come! Next, I'll start cleaning the carbs...
              2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
              1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
              2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
              s)

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by 47mouth View Post
                I to de-rusted my tank using evaporust like you did but after I rinsed it out with hot water and placed the petcock and fuel sensor back within about 10 minutes, I noticed it had already started to flash rust, not horribly but enough to cause concern. What did you rinse yours with? Was I not suppose to use water?
                I don't think water is such a good idea. I used gasoline to rinse after the Evapo-Rust treatment. I think acetone would work well as a rinse agent too.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Use acetone to remove Tank Liners, pour it straight(do not dilute with water).
                  If you pour 1 gallon in, just let it sit for 5 days, let the tank sit in a different position every night, so it covers all sections of the tank.

To dry out the tank, there's tons of ways.
                  I would just use washing soda + hot water...or soap. Then swish around a little acetone or gasoline.

Comment

Working...
                  X