Carb rebuild or carb swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb rebuild or carb swap?

I have a 79 1000L who's carbs are starting to act up and it was mentioned to me that it may be better to upgrade to the BS series carbs rather than rebuilding these only to still possibly have pain in the arse carbs. What are other opinions on this and how much of a swap would this be and which bike's carbs should I look for? I know this has been discussed before but if it's not a pain I'd like some opinions.

If you want EASY, keep the VMs and rebuild them (it's not really that hard or expensive to rebuild them).

If you want a CHALLENGE, go to the BS carbs, but be prepared to change the head on the engine so you have the larger ports that go along with the larger boots that connect the larger carbs to the engine.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks, that's exactly the feeling I have. It looks like I have to order part by part because it's an L, is Z1 the best outlet for this or which direction should I go. I've done a simple break down and replaced most of the o-rings but it looks like an incomplete job. Any tips other than the awesome walk-throughs I've found on here and basscliff's site?

Comment

The only thing you need to order is the correct o-ring kit from cycleorings.com, then get a can of Berryman's or Gunk Carb Cleaner Dip,
        and have fun for several days with the VM Carb Rebuild Guide from BassCliff's site.

Actually, one other thing that you might want to order would be a set of bowl gaskets, just in case yours don't come off so gracefully.
        Z1 would be one source, as well as G&S Suzuki, Boulevard Suzuki, Part Shark and a few other favorites that are mentioned in BassCliff's Welcome.

While you are waiting for the carbs in the 'dip' is a perfect time to do your valve adjustement, so order up a valve cover gasket along with the bowl gaskets.
        Don't worry about ordering up any shims until you know what you need. To minimize shipping expenses, though, you can check your valve clearances first,
        determine what shims you need (may I also suggest the spreadsheet offered in my sig? ), then order your shims along with the gaskets.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

valve adjustment is done, i took the top and bottom off the carbs while still on the slide and replaced the o-rings that were reachable and put it back together, ran great for about 3g miles and petcock went out. replaced this and now the 3 and 4 are running rich.

Comment

Originally posted by chucksuki View Post
            valve adjustment is done, i took the top and bottom off the carbs while still on the slide and replaced the o-rings that were reachable and put it back together, ...
            Not sure what you mean by "still on the slide" and also not sure just which o-rings were "reachable", but it sounds like you need to take the carbs apart (again) and replace ALL the o-rings, then put the carbs back together and set everything correctly. Float height is critical, as it can affect how rich ALL the circuits run. Pilot fuel screw adjustment is important, and will affect the lower throttle openings. The pilot air screw adjustment will fine-tune the richness of the pilot circuit. If you have non-stock intake and/or exhaust systems, you will also need to make adjustments to your needle and main jetting. The only way to ensure all these adjustments is to basically take everything apart, clean it well and start from "scratch".

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride

Comment

Stock intake, Stock pipes(well, stock to a 79g). I just need to take it all apart and do a good job this time like you say. do I need to re-replace the o-rings that have already been done? Probably should just get a new set and do it again. bummer, wife is gonna kick me for that.

Comment

Thanks again for the info, you guys are a great resource and always helpful. If any of you are ever near houston let me know, I'll buy ya a beer.

Comment

do I need to re-replace the o-rings that have already been done? Probably should just get a new set and do it again. bummer, wife is gonna kick me for that.
                  New o-rings are not that expensive. Order the VM kit from cycleorings.com, they are a whopping $18. That covers ALL the carbs, so you only need ONE kit.

If any of you are ever near houston let me know, I'll buy ya a beer.
                  We have a few members in the Houston area, even more throughout Texas.

If I ever get there, though, the 'beer' will have to be A&W.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

There is a local brewery here called St. Arnold's that makes an outstanding root beer. I knew some how I'd end up buying 2 of those o-ring sets though. oh well, I've got one awesome bike thanks to all this good info. I followed the rules to a T....EXCEPT.....I didn't take the carbs completely apart. Next time I'll listen better. Are there better gaskets than OEM? These never really did seat right and I have constantly got a slight blow out.

Comment

Personally I think the VM's are easier to work on, but the BS when working right will give better gas mileage.
                      IF you try and fit BS carbs you may find that the airbox doesn't fit requiring pods and more problems
                      Last edited by Guest; 12-06-2012, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X