Jetting issues for PODS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jetting issues for PODS

I have a 1977 GS550 with stock exhaust that I'm running pods on. Originally my main jets were 80's but I have upped them to 105. I have not changed my pilot jets and have what seem to be flat spots at about 1/8- 1/2 throttle but more than that it runs well.If anyone has any tips on what percentage to up my jets that would be appreciated!

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Comment

Link is useless to him as they don't show a kit listed for his year.

Comment

i guess I have to hold his hand
        Intelligent search from Bing makes it easier to quickly find what you’re looking for and rewards you.

Comment

This is where I bought my main jets from. I have tried to find just the original air box for the bike as well to get away from the pods but haven't had any luck. Those Dyno jet kits say that their made for 83-86' and mine is a 77' which has a different carburetor
          Last edited by Guest; 12-27-2012, 10:24 PM.

Comment

you are to lean on your fuel mixture screws adjust out 1/2 a turn a time if that helps if that does not help, go one size up on the idle jets. have you raise the needles up yet?

Comment

I have not raised the needles up yet, that helps with the air/fuel mixture, correct?

Comment

it is a lot of trial and error, will will get good at taking the carbs off, there is a trick to taking them apart, but you will have to do a a search, look under " tips and tricks" never really messed with vm carbs. jetting wise, just cv carbs.

Comment

I've had them off and apart numerous times already. A mechanic at a local motorcycle shop told me that when jetting for open air filters you want to be around 20-20% more than what it was originally jetted with, does this sound correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Twowheeledlife View Post
                    I have not raised the needles up yet, that helps with the air/fuel mixture, correct?
                    Controls fuel from about 1/4 throttle to 3/4 throttle.
                    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

VM – Disco Never Died

With hipster VM carbs, don’t be too smug. Sure we have more game with the ladies, but there's good news and bad news for us as well. Our needles usually (but not always) are adjustable, so we are not slaves to the DynoJet cult and can spend that money on bell-bottoms and lava lamps as God intended. OTOH, we get no short cuts or pre-packaged kits to launch our jetting adventure.

BTW – if another person tells me to "just get a Stage 3 Kit" for my 1978 VM26s, I will not be responsible for the ensuing bloodbath.

So we have even more trial-and-error to work through. Based on your mods, figure out roughly how many sizes up you need that main jet to go. That linked guide suggests +6 sizes for pods and pipes. My GS750 stock mains were 100, and I am running 117.5 now, but stay tuned for changes.

With a target size in mind, order main jets at -1/0/+1 of the target size – so if you think my jetting might work for you (I wish it worked for me) – order 115, 117.5 and 120 mains.

For pods and pipe, you need to raise the needle usually around 2 notches – i.e., move the clip 2 slots down.

For the pilot, you might be OK with the stock size, with just some re-balancing of the pilot screws to shift towards more fuel. If not, you may have to increase the pilot size one step, or even two

Comment

So for pods and the stock pipe I should raise the needle one notch? My original mains were 80's and I raised them to 105 after playing around with them a bit. I feel like they still might not be correct but it runs well at highway speeds.

Comment

You are confusing changing main jet size with raising the needles. Lower the "C" clips on the top of the needles one notch. This allows more fuel for any given main jet that you have in there presently, and provides more fine adjustment. When you get it right the bike will be smooth in all ranges from slow speed to wide opened with a smooth transition. Between changes, run the bike at wide opened throttle up a long hill, hitting the kill switch while keeping the throttle opened as you coast to a stop. Check your plug color to determine when you start getting your mixture rich enough so you don't end up putting a hole in your pistons. The VM carburetors will always bog if you roll on two fast at too low a rpm. That is the nature of the beast, but if your rpm's are up you will get instantaneous response.
                          Last edited by OldVet66; 12-28-2012, 09:59 AM.
                          '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

God?

Originally posted by kdo58 View Post
                            VM – Disco Never Died

With hipster VM carbs, don’t be too smug. Sure we have more game with the ladies, but there's good news and bad news for us as well. Our needles usually (but not always) are adjustable, so we are not slaves to the DynoJet cult and can spend that money on bell-bottoms and lava lamps as God intended. OTOH, we get no short cuts or pre-packaged kits to launch our jetting adventure.

BTW – if another person tells me to "just get a Stage 3 Kit" for my 1978 VM26s, I will not be responsible for the ensuing bloodbath.

So we have even more trial-and-error to work through. Based on your mods, figure out roughly how many sizes up you need that main jet to go. That linked guide suggests +6 sizes for pods and pipes. My GS750 stock mains were 100, and I am running 117.5 now, but stay tuned for changes.

With a target size in mind, order main jets at -1/0/+1 of the target size – so if you think my jetting might work for you (I wish it worked for me) – order 115, 117.5 and 120 mains.

For pods and pipe, you need to raise the needle usually around 2 notches – i.e., move the clip 2 slots down.

For the pilot, you might be OK with the stock size, with just some re-balancing of the pilot screws to shift towards more fuel. If not, you may have to increase the pilot size one step, or even two
                            Informative and very well written.

I admit, I really do like lava lamps...

Comment

Originally posted by Twowheeledlife View Post
                              So for pods and the stock pipe I should raise the needle one notch? My original mains were 80's and I raised them to 105 after playing around with them a bit. I feel like they still might not be correct but it runs well at highway speeds.
                              What are the settings for your fuel and air screws?
                              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                              2007 DRz 400S
                              1999 ATK 490ES
                              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                              X