Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delayed idle issues

Hi everybody,

I own a 82 GS550LZ that has a idle issue. It starts fine...a little choke but after a couple minutes I don't have to use the choke....It will idle fine then after a 45 min...maybe 1 hour ride the bike doesn't want to idle...I'm not sure where to start looking. Have any of you heard of this issue before? It has spark.........

Originally posted by mash35231 View Post
    Hi everybody,

I own a 82 GS550LZ that has a idle issue. It starts fine...a little choke but after a couple minutes I don't have to use the choke....It will idle fine then after a 45 min...maybe 1 hour ride the bike doesn't want to idle...I'm not sure where to start looking. Have any of you heard of this issue before? It has spark.........
    Do you have any idea when carbs were cleaned last? Probably, your slow speed circuit is partially restricted and once warmed up can't deliver enough fuel mixture. BUT did you set your idle stop correctly ?- should be set after bike is nice and warmed up, so there's no influence from "choke" circuit.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by mash35231 View Post
      ... after a 45 min...maybe 1 hour ride the bike doesn't want to idle...
      By "doesn't want to idle", do you mean that it will die or that it hangs at a higher RPM?

There are different solutions to these two options.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

A dying idle when hot generally indicates tight valves

A rising idle means air leaks
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Hi,

Valves need to be adjusted. Carbs need to be properly clean. All carb adjustments (vacuum sync, individual idle mixture screw adjustments, main idle knob adjustment) need to be done while the engine is up to full operating temperature. Make sure there are no leaks in the air intake system.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Had the carbs cleaned at a shop in Xenia. The carbs haven't been sync'd. Steve, it wants to die and stop running. Tight valves never entered my mind....that's a great place to start.

Comment

If you are mentioning Xenia, it sounds like you are dangerously close to me.

When do you want to have some help with this?

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                Wouldn't they be even tighter cold ? He did say bike "starts fine"
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The valve stems get longer when they are hot. When the stems are too long, the valves can't close all the way. This makes them get hotter, and longer. Vicious circle. First it starts to not idle when hot. Next step is the valves burning up. Adjust them.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hi Steve, Yea I live close to Xenia. I started dismantling the bike a couple days ago. D-Mac inspired me to improve the looks. It will be low budget compared to his but we all make due with what we got. I will be putting it back together after I get the frame and tins painted. I'll be in contact with you when I get ready to run again. I would never have thought of tight valves.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      The valve stems get longer when they are hot. When the stems are too long, the valves can't close all the way. This makes them get hotter, and longer. Vicious circle. First it starts to not idle when hot. Next step is the valves burning up. Adjust them.
                      But doesn't the aluminum that holds them (the head) expand more than the steel valve stem?

I have often wondered about the actual valve clearance when the engine is at full operating temperature, but not quite badly enough to burn myself checking it.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        But doesn't the aluminum that holds them (the head) expand more than the steel valve stem?

I have often wondered about the actual valve clearance when the engine is at full operating temperature, but not quite badly enough to burn myself checking it.

This has always been my thought in this lobe-over bucket system - I figure hot running clearances are more like .005 inch-just to ensure some time on seat.
                        1981 gs650L

Comment

Whatever it is, I am reasonably certain that back in the development days, somebody took the time to check all that stuff to find the best clearance/seat time specifications.

Then, when the engine cooled down, they meaured what was there and said "you need this much clearance".

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post

A rising idle means air leaks
                            I speak directly from experience

A few years back, my 78 started dying at stop signs/lights

Pulled the carbs, fiddled with the settings, etc, etc. Finally, decided I needed that baseline we refer to so often

3 tight valves later, my idle returned, nice and steady
                            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                            2007 DRz 400S
                            1999 ATK 490ES
                            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

If valve clearance needs adjusted, where are you guys getting the new shims from? The dealer or some other supplier?

Comment

Working...
                              X