Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

diy carb balancer - what have i done wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

diy carb balancer - what have i done wrong?

Okay guys, i made this today and hooked it up to my 750 and am having absolutely no luck with it, at one point all the oil ended up in the engine so i pulled the carbs off and bench synced them to get a fresh starting point but am still no where near even getting a result.

Its not pretty but it does work, should i have them both joined in the middle or can i run them as seperate banks without the balancer?

Carbs

Woodsy
    You might need restrictions in the tubes?

Steve
    79 GS 750 E

Comment

i've got small fittings in the lines that restrict the hoses to 3mm. Its getting annoying...

Comment

I can't tell you what you have done wrong, except for choosing the wrong fluid or the wrong length of tubing or the wrong engineer to design it for you.

There needs to be enough weight in the tube to withstand the pull of the vacuum that you apply to the top.
        For columns the length your engineer has chosen, you need to have mercury in them.
        If you choose to stay with oil, you will need columns about 25-30 feet high.
        That's "high", not "long", as it's the vertical height that gives the weight, not simply length.

By the time you get done playing around and arguing with your engineer, you may find it an outright bargain to buy the Carbtune for AUS$98.71 and be assured that you have a quality unit that works.

Oh, the "restrictors" only delay the speed with which the vacuum acts, they do not reduce it.
        You will still suck all the oil out of the tube, it will just do it slower and with fewer pulsations.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

the engineer was myself after looking at other setups online, i wasnt sure if it was going to work and seems it isnt.
          Last edited by Guest; 02-05-2013, 07:57 AM.

Comment

This is mine:

It has fork oil in the tube and the total length of the tube is about 14'.

Works great. On a 4 cyl you have to balance 1 and 2, then 3 and 4, then 2 and 3 to balance the pairs.

The key to these things is to have a decent length of tube and keep it simple so there's no chance of leaks (hence the single length of tube).

And if one of your carbs is sucking the oil into the motor you can pinch the hose until you get it close to balanced.
            Last edited by hillsy; 02-05-2013, 08:09 AM.
            Current:
            Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
            VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
            And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

all my tubing is 18ft in total, used 2 stroke oil in them

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                This is mine:
                It has fork oil in the tube and the total length of the tube is about 14'.
                Works great.
                On a twin, yes, it will work "great", but a 4-cylinder bike is a completely different animal when it comes to carb sync.

On a 4 cyl you have to balance 1 and 2, then 3 and 4, then 2 and 3 to balance the pairs.
                Sounds good on paper, but when you start to actually balance the carbs, you will see that adjusting any one of the three adjuster screws really affects all four vacuum levels. You can not simply "balance 1 and 2, then 3 and 4, then 2 and 3 to balance the pairs".
                And I won't even bother to point out that the factory-recommended sequence is to balance #2 to #3, then match #1 just a bit higher than that pair, and finally to match #4 to #1 while monitoring all four cylinders.
                I won't do that because the factory probably doesn't know what they are talking about.

The key to these things is to have a decent length of tube and keep it simple so there's no chance of leaks (hence the single length of tube).
                Again, it works GREAT on a TWIN.

Originally posted by Woodsy View Post
                all my tubing is 18ft in total, used 2 stroke oil in them
                It does not matter how much your total length is, you need to have EVERY COLUMN OF OIL 25-30 feet high to have enough weight to pull against engine vacuum. To have a column 25 feet high, you will also need another 25 + feet to get back down to your bike (unless you dig a deep hole in your garage). Do this for four cylinders, you will need a total of over 200 feet of tubing.

There have been several attempts to home-brew a carb sync tool documented on this forum and others. The ones that say "hey, lookee here, I got a good one" are the guys that have TWINS. A simple balance tube like hillsy's works fine for that, but when you get to a 4-cylinder bike, the rules change completely.

You may choose to continue with your current engineer, but I have said my peace, I'm outta here.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

It does not matter how much your total length is, you need to have EVERY COLUMN OF OIL 25-30 feet high to have enough weight to pull against engine vacuum. To have a column 25 feet high, you will also need another 25 + feet to get back down to your bike (unless you dig a deep hole in your garage).
                  With a vented unit this is true. If it is not vented, the distance does not need to be so great. There does need a way to keep all of the fluid from going into whichever cylinder has the highest vacuum.
                  Theoretically, it is possible.
                  Practically, I just bought a Carbtune.

Twins don't need any tool do balance the carbs anyway. You can get them perfect without anything.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I saw a video where a guy used snapple bottles as reservoirs instead of just tubes. Still looked pretty finicky, though.
                    Charles
                    --
                    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

it would be easier to just get a carbtune, i just wanted to see if i could get a good DIY one setup but looks like my setup just wont work in its current form.

Comment

I've used my DIY balancer on quite a few 4 cyl bikes and it works fine the way I've said. I don't really care about how anyone thinks it shouldn't work - I use it and it works.

Obviously, your results may vary.
                        Current:
                        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

You have way too much oil in your lines and not enough height in your tubes. I think you'll be fine if you change at least the fluid level, or just buy/ borrow a tuner. Out of curiosity I made one like yours with 4 tubes joined with T fittings at the bottom, no restrictors, mounted to 4 foot board, with about 4 inches of ATF in the tubes. The vacuum from my 1150 sucked the fluid about halfway up. I don't know if my motor creates more vacuum than smaller motors but I suppose all you need to do for adjustment is play with the fluid level.

Comment

I don't like re-inventing the wheel when I don't have too. Carb sync tools are one of those wheels. I just soon buy one and not have the headaches of guessing at it. Sure maybe you might only use it once though I doubt it. You can sync your buddies bikes now for a few bucks and eventually pay for the thing. And guess what...you have it when you need it now.
                            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

missing a vented resivoir

fundimentally it appears this tool is missing a vent. I mean we are pulling 5~15 hg thru a tiny tube with fluid in it -- total vacuum?? yes it appears so.

Old honda clymer manuals have a very detailed home made manometer and it uses a canning jar with a vent in the lid and the tubes in the fluid in the vented jar.

the tools I see in this thread are making a total vacuum - instead of a semi passive vacuum meter. hope you don't get mad at me for saying so-- but you guys are DE-tuning --with those tools -- they are no where near accurate..

(approx) atmosphere is 14.7 / sq in - on everything-

at idle - inside your carb is somewhere between 5~15 above that measured in centimeters also gauged by the viscosity of mercury at sea level ....agreed??

here is a question for you: how do you measure the pressure realtionship of each of your cylinders to the atmosphere as well as to each other when a little tube is totally sealed with some 5-10-15-20 weight oil ? .

you think 10 weight oil equalized out in a total vacuum is correct? I'm sorry it is not.

Originally posted by Woodsy View Post
                              Okay guys, i made this today and hooked it up to my 750 and am having absolutely no luck with it, at one point all the oil ended up in the engine so i pulled the carbs off and bench synced them to get a fresh starting point but am still no where near even getting a result.

Its not pretty but it does work, should i have them both joined in the middle or can i run them as seperate banks without the balancer?
                              SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Working...
                              X