Got any ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got any ideas

Restoring a 1980 GS 550e completely rebuilt carbs and have new petcock and it releases gas when the vacuum is activated on cranking. Prtoblem #1 have to spray carb cleaner in carbs to get it to innitially crank then it will crank there after, problem #2 idle increases from 1500 to 7-8000 by itself I goose it and and turn the idle down. Idles for a minute then goes up. Lastly is the petcock supposed to be in the prime position to run or straight up. Had Suzuki sync the carbs and the high rev started after that. Hope I can get some help
    Thanks

You have a massive vacuum leak.
    Did you change the o-rings behind the intake manifolds? Is your airbox sealed and have good seal on both sides of carbs?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

It's a waste of time to sync carbs till you get it sorta running right- clean carbs, replacing carb boot o-rings,etc. Then these critters will start right up (and idle ! ) without supplements.
      I assume you have the "leverless" 1980 petcock- is it newish?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Wes30327,

You'll find all of the proper procedures for resurrecting your GS in the links below. Skipping steps or taking shortcuts will lead to frustration at best, injury and mayhem at worst. Start by properly cleaning the carbs, adjusting the valves, and making sure the charging system is clean and functioning properly. Don't forget things like new tires, new brake lines, rebuilt brake calipers and master cylinders, etc. It's all in the maintenance lists.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, diagrams, "how-to" guides, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
        X