Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1981 GS550e Mikuni Carb tuning progress.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I emailed dynojet to see if they have instructions for my kit.

Any ideas about the sticky mixture screw though? If I wanted to chase the threads, what tap would I use? Should I try replacing the screw as well?

Comment

dynojet just told me there are no instructions for the gs550 katana kit!

The stock settings are:

-Needle 3 positions from the top
      -150 jet
      -Mixture screw at 2.5 turns

Comment

my carbs were dumping fuel whenever the bike would run. it turned out the connecting pipe o-rings had turned to brittle plastic. i replaced those and have no more drips.

when i put the carbs on, the bike wouldn't start unless i covered the intakes with my hand. i had omitted the little dynojet parts that press into the air jets.

after i put them it, the bike fired right up. it now runs strong and is responsive through the throttle positions.

the carbs are only bench-synced, so there's some work to be done, but it's completely ridable.

Comment

I went out for a longish ride in city traffic. the stop-and-go really brought out some problems in my idle and early throttle response. Lean characteristics.

I have size 40 pilots right now, and the mixture screws don't seem to do anything for me.

I ordered 42.5 jets, and my supplier didn't have 45 jets in stock, but I'm going to try those too.

Comment

Did the dynojet kit work? I have the same filters and at wits end trying to jet this thing. I started with stock and I'm up to 110's. Never had a stock air box. Can't even put one in thanks to PO cutting crap off.

Comment

The kit worked great. With #45 pilots, the bike responds well throughout the throttle.

Comment

Working...
              X