Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to re-jet?

For 1980GS1100E

Tired of this airbox and want to go to pods so I can get easy access to the fuel connector on the carb. Tired of leaks and having to fish the tube down in there.

A friend said maybe I just need to come up one setting on the needle. I said, I'd be surprised if it was that easy.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
    -Bob

Bob,

Tons of threads on this topic, also check BassCliff's site

It's not that easy

Keeping the air box is a lot easier
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

You're kidding, right?

Just because you have to pull the airbox ONE TIME to change a fuel hose, you want to go through all the FUN of pulling the carbs MULTIPLE TIMES in an effort to dial in the jetting?

Son, you have a WARPED sense of humor.

Actually, if I remember correctly (it has been a while since I worked on one of those bikes), you just push the airbox back (don't pull it out) and remove the carbs to change the fuel hose. Put the carbs back in, re-connect the airbox and be done.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi,

You'll probably have to go up 4 to 6 sizes on the main jet. Raise jet needle a notch or two. ( Do you have slotted needles? ) Maybe go up one size on the pilot jet, but probably not. You'll have to do a lot of plug chops to test each throttle circuit to make sure none are lean or rich. Yes, you can be rich on one circuit and lean on another. It's usually easier just to install a Dynojet Stage 3 kit because that takes most of the guesswork out of the equation. There is more information on plug chops and carb tuning on my little website.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I'm with Steve, just consider how many times you actually have to have the carbs out, once every few years maybe? Maybe less is they are maintained correctly, which I am sure you will do.

My 550E is a pain is the azz to say the very least and I have had them carbs in an out a lot and swore like sailor every time but when I pulled the 850 carbs out (just once to my happiness) I was singing about how damn easy it was! Got to believe there's some ample room to work with on your 1100.

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
            I'm with Steve, just consider how many times you actually have to have the carbs out, once every few years maybe? Maybe less is they are maintained correctly, which I am sure you will do.
            And plug chops are a BIATCH!
            -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Maybe you need ....these! take tank off, use these cheap fish hook extractors.Very handy-go where no fingers or needle nose pliers can...Put some tape on sharp jaws so fuel line isn't chewed.

Comment

Working...
              X