Carbs leaking 1983 gs 750t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbs leaking 1983 gs 750t

Went to start the bike up today and saw fuel leaking out of at least 2 maybe 3 carbs, as i run a small engine shop and have had many bikes, and have researched the petcock issues. So i pulled the float bowl off #4 and lifted the float up to engage the needle and turned the petcock to prime. No fuel coming out of needle or seat but fuel coming from the underside of the carb almost a steady stream. As i couldn't really see where as the carbs are still on the mtr. Not just the one i had bowl off, but at least one or maybe 2 more, i will order a new petcock, any ideas before i pull the carbs off. Thanks for any help. Rod

Carb rebuild tutorial linked in my signature.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Boston410,

Let's start with a little "leaky carbs" tip:

Overflowing Carbs

And now we'll move on to the "mega-welcome".

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, diagrams, "how-to" guides, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
      Help! Your Bike Won't Start
      DON'T DO THESE THINGS
      Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
      Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Pulled the carbs off the bike today, looks like its only one of them, just a question about how the fuel gets into the bowl, does gas only come into the bowl through the seat when the needle lets it, is this the only way fuel should be entering the bowl. There is a small hole on the edge of the carb that lines up with a cutout portion on the edge of the bowl, that is where a braas tube goes into the bowl, when i had the carbs on the bike and had engaged the float manually no gas came out of the seat but fuel poured out of that hole. Why is that. Thanks Rod

Comment

The brass tube is part of the enrichment system- it draws fuel from little hole in bowl bottom and up and thru little holes into carb throat.I believe that bowl gaskets have a vent slot (see attached pic) in this area, but have not to confront any problems here yet myself. Best to heed Nessism's tutorial now that you have carbs off- at the very least ,30 yearold o-rings are likely tired.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yes i have ordered the o ring kit from mr bar, Will see if i can still get the needle and seats from the dealer today, and while i have it off will change the petcock. The carbs are very clean but will soak them when i get the o ring set. Only probelm is the weather is great here this wk, perfect riding weather. Thanks Rod

Comment

Mr. Rod. As a fellow "T" owner, I feel that I must inform you that it is mandatory to post a picture of your T. And after you get her back together you are required to post in the "T" picture thread...
              '83 GS 1100T
              The Jet

sigpic
              '95 GSXR 750w
              The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

I second that...

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                Mr. Rod. As a fellow "T" owner, I feel that I must inform you that it is mandatory to post a picture of your T. And after you get her back together you are required to post in the "T" picture thread...
                Post pics of your "T" here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...204459&page=13

I had a fuel leak a couple weeks ago. The vacuum hose had a slit in it and caused me some problems. Once I replaced the petcock and cut 1/4 inch off the vaccum hose, all is well with my "T".

Ed
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Yes I will post some pics it of the T when i get it back together hopefully i will get the parts next week.

Comment

Got the o ring kit wed, put it in and got the needle and seat from suzuki put it in, set the floats, they were way out, bench synced the carbs rigged up a fuel tank (still waiting for the petcock) started it no leaks runs great. Thanks for the great site. Rod

Comment

Oh yeah replaced the fuel line and the vac line with tygon line which i use on small engines never breaks down or gets hard

Comment

Originally posted by Boston410 View Post
                        Oh yeah replaced the fuel line and the vac line with tygon line which i use on small engines never breaks down or gets hard
                        Where are you buying your Tygon fuel lines?
                        Rob
                        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
                        X