1980 GS1000G Idle Adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1000G Idle Adjustment

New to the board and was wondering if somone could point me in the right direction on locating the Idle Adjustment on this bike.

I did a search and didn't come up with anything.

lots of great info.

any help is appreciated.

njload

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. njload,

You'll find the main idle screw there between the #2 and #3 carbs, pointing towards the rear of the bike.

Want some more GS lovin'? OK, here ya go!

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, diagrams, "how-to" guides, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
    Help! Your Bike Won't Start
    DON'T DO THESE THINGS
    Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
    Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Wow good stuff.

I am the original owner and she definately needs some TLC. Is there any place I can find after market brake calipers? I'm going to be in the marked if I can find something cheap enough. I definately want to get her back up and running. I will try to post some pic's in the future cuz she still looks pretty good. Got a Windjammer SS fairing on the front and luggage rack with sissy bar on the back. Getting excited just knowing I am in good hands here.

thanks

njload

Comment

Hi,

Chances are good that you can use the original calipers. Just clean them up and replace all the rubber with a rebuild kit, OEM is always best. Depending on condition you may need new brake pistons too.

You'll find a pretty extensive list of our favorite vendors in your "mega-welcome". Have fun shopping.

BassCliff

Comment

I already rebuilt them once back in 88 and replaced the pistons, don't remember if the calipers had some pitting going on or not but rebuilding would definatel be an option again as the back dosen't have much stopping power.

Comment

To idle up do ya turn the screw clockwise? Haven't tried yet and can't remember.

Thanks

Comment

Hi,

I never can remember either.

I just twist it until it does what I want.

BassCliff

Comment

If you are on the right side of the bike, turn the knob towards the engine (clockwise) to increase throttle, same rule, righty tighty, lefty loosy
                Rob
                1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
                X