no3 not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no3 not working

so heres the deal, just got my dyna s installed and the carbs put on. when i bought the bike carbs were off and in rough shape. i cleaned the carbs as best i could and bought carb kits that replaced all jets and rubber. anyways made a makeshift gas tank and let the bowls fill up and bike fired on first crank. after a bit i noticed gas dripping from the number 3 carb out of the airbox side{no air box on now}. if i pull the plug the idle is not effected at all. i can hear the spark jumping from the boot to the plug so i know i have spark. heres what i havnt done, checked valve clearences and synced carbs. when i removed the idle screws i forgot to count the turns so i just set them all at 3 full turns from seated. i have done a compression test, but it was before the bike ran so it was cold and i did not check the torqe of the head bolts. the compression was anywhere from 120-140. think 125 or so in the cylinder in question. i know i havnt done due dilligence, but was hoping that there was a simple solution that i over looked. any help would be great. plan on checking the torqe and valves soon(need to buy some tools.}. other than that bike runs pretty well considering it hasnt run in about 10 years and sat out side for probably most of that.
    please mind my poor spelling, thanks
    Brian

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. byegge,

Do we need to know what bike we're talking about?

So here's the deal. "i cleaned the carbs as best i could and bought carb kits" aint' gonna cut it. It's always best to keep OEM parts in the carbs. All you need for carb maintenance is an O-ring kit from cycleorings.com, some bowl gaskets, and a gallon can of carb dip. See all of the proper procedures in the links below. It's your "mega-welcome".

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, diagrams, "how-to" guides, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
    Help! Your Bike Won't Start
    DON'T DO THESE THINGS
    Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
    Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

the reason i bought the kits is because i damaged two of the needle seats when trying to remove them. it was cheaper to buy the 4 kits that included everything than to buy oem carb parts from suzuki. this is a budget build afterall. here are some photos of what i was working with

also, will local autoparts store cary the carb dip, i plan on breaking them down and going through them again. i was waiting on an impact screwdriver to seperate them and that should be here soon

Comment

Yes they will carry the Berryman's and you'll even find it at Walmart. Like Basscliff tried to suggest, please put your bike information in your signature (User CP, Edit Signature) so we know what bike you are referring to and can help without asking you every time.

Understand the carb rebuild kits don't carry everything you need nor do they carry well made parts so you'll spend even more than you need to. Let us know what bike you have and maybe someone here can help you with parts and other stuff.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
        X