RUNNING... But need some help (Video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RUNNING... But need some help (Video)

Okay, so it runs... But obvious issues. I have researched all the individual symptoms, yes I know how to use the search function, but all of them together may be something different entirely. So here it is...

Short version: Runaway idle when on full chocke (controlled by manipulating the choke), smoke out of exhaust 1/2, rich rich rich black sooty plugs (will check float hights), soon to get Dynojet stage III. Also, tach apparently doesnt work. Dead needle when I hooked it up, any advice if I'm doin it wrong? Guess an acewell will be on order sooner than i though.

No leaks, all fine so thats a plus. But, there is smoke from the number 1 and number 2 exhaust (Sitting on the bike, left hand starts one just so there is no confusion). Plugs on 1/2 are black sooty (yes, float hights are going to need some help, I will get on that in a couple days) but #4 is clean as a whistle. I thought it was that it wasnt running, but pipes were warm.
    Also, not really fuel/carb related but the bottom HOLE (not the screw, the HOLE) for the oil filter cap is stripped, thought I fixed it with a tap/dye set but started leaking again, could also possibly be the gasket. Will, check when I have time.

Video as promised.

Just for starters. K&N pods require oil, they will run lean without and play with your jetting if dry or too wet.
    A compression test will help with troubleshooting also.
    Adding a rubber o-ring to the filler cap for the oil will help seal it from leaking.
    Vaccuum sync the carbs may be in order also.
    Did you dip and clean the carbs as per the tutorial?
    Did you check and adjust the valves?
    Every one of these thing work together as a team and must all be doing their part correctly.
    Valve seals will dry and leak over time also.Dumping oil onto the cylinders and sometimes as far as spitting oil out the exhaust.

Comment

what have you done to the carbs so far?

did you adjust the valve lash? If the valves aren't right it will run terrible..

Do you have an exhaust leak or is it just the video ?? Make sure there's no leaks anywhere in the exhaust..

Go over the valve lash settings, MAKE SURE you check it properly.

The float levels in the carbs should be exact, they should be sync'd as well, take them off and set each carb the same to start with. Make sure you don't have the floats set too rich, meaning that they fill up the bowl excessively..

Always run K&N filters with a light filter oil spray made specifically for those style elements.. I personally can't stand open elements like that but when I do work on bikes that have them I suggest to the customer to give them a foam wrap as well..

Comment

I would check to make sure you have battery voltage at the coils? Weak spark could be causing part of your problem. Are the plugs dry(like from a rich mixture) or wet from oil fouling?

The engine is supposed to speed up when the choke is applied. Did you try adjusting the idle knob between the carb bodies?

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
          I would check to make sure you have battery voltage at the coils? Weak spark could be causing part of your problem. Are the plugs dry(like from a rich mixture) or wet from oil fouling?

The engine is supposed to speed up when the choke is applied. Did you try adjusting the idle knob between the carb bodies?
          Nope, basically I let it run a few times but it was a "run away" type of idling. Where it just keeps going up, up, up before I kill it. The thing that sucks was that the tach did not work so I can't give you real RPMs. After running it for total of about 3mins, the battery went flat. So, I just packed it in and went home because I felt awesome about myself haha.

The plugs were dry (but sooty black), battery fully charged before (But, its a $30 crap eBay battery so not too great), spark checks out on all 4 wires (strong enough to see during the day in the shade).

Comment

Working...
          X