GS850 Carb boot seperating from spacer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 Carb boot seperating from spacer

So I have tried to search and have not been able to find the info I am looking for on this one.

On my recent purchase of a GS850 I realized that one of my carb intake boots was seperating from the spacer.

of all the parts fiche's that I have looked at and online dealers these appear to be a single piece, not meant to seperate

The rubber is not cracked or hard, and definetly still useable.

I was just wondering if I could expoxy it back into place?

thanks all

Do you mean the intake boot in front of the carbs?
    David
    1998 Suzuki Bandit
    1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
    1978 GS1000 - gone
    1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

yep, those are the ones. one of my right intake boots is seperating, it appears that they tried to seal it using a gasket sealer.

hahaha...

Comment

Yeah, you're just going to have to buy a new one. They aren't supposed to separate, and could be causing all kinds of leak issues.

Comment

I have plenty of extras that are in good shape if you want a used one. The biggest thing to remember is to replace the O rings between the boots and the engine. cycleorings.com
          David
          1998 Suzuki Bandit
          1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
          1978 GS1000 - gone
          1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

The only "proper" solution is to buy brand new ones. I know its a bit if sticker shock, as they aren't exactly cheap. I would take up the offer of some free or low cost used ones.
            I will admit, I repaired a set of four before.
            After thorough cleaning of the metal base plate and the rubber boot, I used a form of quick epoxy to secure them together. Then after that dried(30mins) I topped the joint with a nice bead/ gusset of some high flex specialty caulking I had in black.
            Then i smoothed it in for maximun surface adhesion between the two surfaces.
            I dont imagine this a " forever" repair, but it is working very well and looks good too.
            So, it is possible, but who knows how long iy will last.

Comment

Working...
            X