High Idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Idle

Just completed a rebuild of a 1982 GS1100GL. Turned it into a bobber. Once put back together the bike is idling at 3000 rpms. The idle screw is backed out all the way. Any ideas?

stuck throttle cable ? leaving it partially open, it is returning back all the way ?

Comment

Throttle cable is returning all the way

Comment

There is slack in the throttle cable and the returns are coming to full stop when throttle is not applied. Sorry just had to add that in there since I was tinkering with the cable

Comment

choke stuck on, air leaks, have the carbs been synched?
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Bobbed / chopped... what did you do to the air box and exhaust?

Comment

I say we synced them we went by the bench sync on the bass cliff site. Could we turn in the idle screws on each carb to get it to idle down.

Comment

I say we synced them we went by the bench sync on the bass cliff site. Could we turn in the idle screws on each carb to get it to idle down.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                  So?
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Ok I took the carbs off to bench sync them, got them all opening the same and then backed the idle set screw back to where it is only touching the throttle. Now it won't even start. So back to square of getting it started.

Comment

we put four into two exhaust back on it stock exhaust and then running pods. We rejetted the carbs for the pods.

Comment

The jetting has very little to do with the idle (to begin with) and virtually nothing to do with starting. Note: this refers to the main jets; you should almost never need to change the pilot jet.
                        When you did the last bench synch, how much gap did you leave between the slide and the body of the carb? I normally use a paperclip, which is too much but will allow it to start. If you leave none, or almost none, it will not start.

Comment

I put a paper clip to set them all the same then shut em down by backing the throttle valve adjustment screw back down till the butterflies touched the throat. I am guessing I should open them back a paper clip wide?

Comment

yes.......

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                              So?
                              Tiz why I asked.

Originally posted by Rockgs1000 View Post
                              we put four into two exhaust back on it stock exhaust and then running pods. We rejetted the carbs for the pods.

Running the pods on the stock jetting for the pilot circuit is going to leave you lean.

Comment

Working...
                              X