Throttle cable routing ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle cable routing ?'s

I bought an 82 gs750. It was pretty much bare without throttle cable, clutch cable or wiring.

So far I've tackled a lot of the stuff covered on bikecliff's website and some other stuff I've seen on this forum. But for the life of me I cannot seem to find an answer on how I hook up the throttle cable I bought from Cycle Recycle. I have it hooked to the throttle but I cannot seem to find where it mounts next to the carbs. The cable is physically hooked in-between 2 and 3 carbs but where the threaded insert goes is where I am lost. Am I missing something? I can post pictures if that will help.

So far I have replaced clutches/ springs, new gaskets, new o-rings in the carbs etc. I cannot seem to figure out why this cable is giving me so much trouble. I can fabricate a bracket to mount it if necessary just trying to see if I am not seeing something on the carbs or frame where this cable is supposed to go

Thanks ahead of time,

Jon

There should be a bracket that attaches to two of the carb cover screws that holds the threaded portion of the throttle cable in place. Should be a lock nut on each end of the threaded portion as well, that's used to secure/adjust the cable to the bracket.

Interestingly enough, that bracket doesn't show up on the parts fiche picture - only the choke bracket is shown...

Do you have the throttle bracket? Perhaps a member here will post a pic of how this looks??
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Part number 13621-45160
      #25 on this fiche, attaches to the top of carb #3.

I can get a picture in a bit if you need.

Seems it's no longer available so you will likely have to buy it used.

That same part can be found on the following bikes:

GS750E
      GS750T
      GS850G
      GS850GL

GS750T
      GS850G
      GS850GL

and likely other GSes with CV carbs

Comment

Originally posted by Steel Toed Tank View Post
        Part number 13621-45160
        #25 on this fiche, attaches to the top of carb #3.

I can get a picture in a bit if you need.
        I believe #25 is choke cable bracket, not the throttle cable bracket.

I checked a few different carb fiches & didn't see the throttle bracket .

If you can post up a pic of yours that would be great.
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

I have neither brackets. I hadnt even looked into the choke cable and bracket yet because I was going to mount in on my battery box. I was going to get a custom cable for that.

The screws are there though? Thats odd... I guess I will have to track down someone parting a bike out or just fab up something to use till I can find something.

Thanks guys! if someone could post a picture of what it looks like that would be amazing, at least I would have an idea of what it looks like.

Comment

I will post a picture of my carbs when I get home. I'll just remove them to show.

Comment

Post in the "Part Wanted" for what you need...

Someone here should be able to help you out. Member Chef has lots of extra carb parts...

mike
              '85 GS550L - SOLD
              '85 GS550E - SOLD
              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
              '81 GS750L - SOLD
              '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
                I believe #25 is choke cable bracket, not the throttle cable bracket.

I checked a few different carb fiches & didn't see the throttle bracket .

If you can post up a pic of yours that would be great.
                The single bracket holds both cables.

Comment

Yeah i most definately do not have that part... Looks like its to the parts wanted and junk yard to find one.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Ahhhh yes, you are absolutely correct! If I wasn't at work when I answered this initially, I would have looked at my own bike .

You'd think that after all the carbs I've torn down & put back together I would've remembered this...

Thanks Tank,
                    '85 GS550L - SOLD
                    '85 GS550E - SOLD
                    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                    '81 GS750L - SOLD
                    '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. johnny.burns.g1,

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, diagrams, "how-to" guides, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
                      Help! Your Bike Won't Start
                      DON'T DO THESE THINGS
                      Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
                      Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I think this is your service manual.

You can find the narrative on page 2-9, under Throttle cable play and
                        a pic on 2-10, 2nd picture.
                        sigpic
                        Steve
                        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Working...
                        X