Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gas tank overflowed while filling. thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gas tank overflowed while filling. thoughts?

Just started riding the 650e a few days ago. Filled it up for the second time yesterday. While at the pump, I filled it to an inch from the top, I turned to grab my gas cap from the top of the pump, and when I turned back, the gas rose and was at the top of the filler neck. As I looked at it it rose more and began overflowing. I scrambled for some paper towels....but of course they had none, The fuel rose out of the tank for about 20 seconds and covered the tank and dripped everywhere. It was honestly about 4-6 ounces that spilled out after it rose. It looked about like if I had spilled half a pop can onto the tank ( visual reference)
    I had only ridden the bike 1 mile , from a cold start, to the corner filling station.
    What would cause this?

Properly rebuilt carbs.
    New petcock.
    Stock pipes/air box.
    Good carb boots in/ out sides

you dont actually mention it, but when you stopped filling and turned to reach for the gas cap, was the pump nozzle still in the tank or had you removed it and hung it back on the pump?
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

No, I had stopped filling and the pump was hung up already.
      So within the 10 seconds it took me to hang up the pump and grab my cap.....it had begun rising.
      No bubbles or burping, just a full tank, slowly rising .

Comment

Side stand, or center stand?

If it was leaned over, there's a chance that you the 'flow' of fuel into the tank allowed a high spot in the tank to take some fuel, and then once the flow into the tank stopped, the fuel found it's own level which happened to be above the filler hole. I guess the same thing could happen on the center stand, depending on the shape of the tank.

I'd say fill it to within 2" of the top next time, let it 'settle', and then trickle in the rest so the level can equalize as it fills.

Comment

wow, i have never heard of that before........i have known it to drop slightly but never expand like that.
          if the nozzle was still in the tank then it would be an obvious answer, but as it stands, I HAVE NO IDEA!
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I generally don't fill the tank quite so high, unless I'm going on a trip. Even still, I never had the gas rise in the tank after I put gas in it, or any of my bikes over the years. I always remove the nozzle from the tank and keep the bike upright before I go fumbling around with the gas cap.
            If the gas was cold going into the tank and the warmth of the engine under the tank was enough to make it expand that might do it to some degree, but I don't think it would do it that quickly.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Hey Dave!
              It was the side stand, but it was on the uphill side (sloping lot) so the bike was pretty vertical.
              As you said, all I can do is fill it a bit less. The center stand would be a good idea too to assure even filling.

One other farfetched possibility is that the po had lined this tank. I don't know what they used.
              It looks like a solid job. There was a few inches of fuel in it all winter with some stabil.
              Possible delamination of lining or chemical reaction with the new gas.....not likely. But I will keep my eye on the liner too.

Comment

Sounds like you have a one-of-a-kind bike that does not consume gasoline, it generates it.

Personally, I would hang on to it, should get GREAT gas mileage on trips.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It's magic! don't let the oil companies find out, or your bike will vanish from the planet.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                    It's magic! don't let the oil companies find out, or your bike will vanish from the planet.
                    Better not vanish! I just started riding this one and I really like it!
                    I gotta say its so nice when you find one as I did with this 650 where not one single wire or anything has been touched....every single bit is exactly as it was when it left the factory.
                    No one had had their hands in this bike.

Comment

I always fill on the side stand. Reason...when you fill on the center stand and then go to the side stand, the gas will rise in the neck. If its too full and you have a leaky gap seal youll have gas running down the tank almost instantly.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                        I always fill on the side stand. Reason...when you fill on the center stand and then go to the side stand, the gas will rise in the neck. If its too full and you have a leaky gap seal youll have gas running down the tank almost instantly.
                        Agree. I only fill like that If I am heading right off to put on some miles.

Comment

I dont even do it then...I still have to take the bike off the center stand at the pump to get on. I never take that risk. That extra pint of gas isnt that critical to me.
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post

That is cool. When you start getting low on fuel, just remove the gas cap, turn around once, and put it back on. MUCH BETTER THAN PAYING $350 A GALLON.
                            82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                            80 gs1000s

Comment

Working...
                            X