Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 into 1 Fitment

The bike: 1979 GS750 (EN, i think).

Towards the end of the year last year, I bought an RC Performance Products 4-1 exhaust from the classifieds here. We couldn't find a part number, so I just took the chance and bought it. The pipe fits the head...no problem there. I have all the bits necessary to tighten down/clamp/etc.

The flanges are too big, though. What I mean is that the spacing between the holes for the bolts is too big by about 1/2". Does anyone know if flanges like these can be purchased anywhere? My google-fu is failing me this week.

Here's a quick photo:

Thanks in advance—

Don

Do the pipes fit in the heads exhaust ports? The reason I ask, is that there doesn't appear to be 1/2" of available material to remove, even if you found a retaining collar to fit the head studs?

Comment

That pipe might be for the 16 valve head. I have a RC on mine.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

The pipe fits in the ports very well, actually. The downtubes are a little long, but other than that, everything lines up...other than the collar, of course. Drilling them out was my first thought as well, but there is definitely not enough material.

I think Mr Bill is correct about the 16V head. I'll cross my fingers that someone knows of a way to make it work, but suspect that before too long I'll have to put it right back on the classifieds here.

Comment

What size do you want them to be? I've got some spares in the shop that were too small for my 1100. Let me know what size you need and if they fit.. they're yours for postage. Paul

Comment

Originally posted by saucebox View Post
            The pipe fits in the ports very well, actually. The downtubes are a little long, but other than that, everything lines up...other than the collar, of course. Drilling them out was my first thought as well, but there is definitely not enough material.

I think Mr Bill is correct about the 16V head. I'll cross my fingers that someone knows of a way to make it work, but suspect that before too long I'll have to put it right back on the classifieds here.
            You can make them up yourself if you can be bothered, it has been done before and will almost cost nothing. Or you could obtain a section of 1/4" plate and have the 4 x large holes cut by an oxy operator and then drill the smaller holes and shape each collar with a small angle grinder and finish them off with a bastard.

As I say it can be done -- some effort required though.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer61 View Post
              What size do you want them to be? I've got some spares in the shop that were too small for my 1100. Let me know what size you need and if they fit.. they're yours for postage. Paul
              I may take you up on that. I'll measure everything tomorrow and see what's needed. Either way, thanks is due.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                You can make them up yourself if you can be bothered, it has been done before and will almost cost nothing. Or you could obtain a section of 1/4" plate and have the 4 x large holes cut by an oxy operator and then drill the smaller holes and shape each collar with a small angle grinder and finish them off with a bastard.

As I say it can be done -- some effort required though.
                I just checked. The only bastard I could find out in the garage is the idiot that stands in front of the toolbox wonderin' what the hell he's got himself into this time...

I might be able to make them as well. I've got plenty of spare plate steel. It'd be a challenge to see if the bastard could make 4 reasonably close copies, though.

Don

Comment

I just checked. The only bastard I could find out in the garage is the idiot that stands in front of the toolbox wonderin' what the hell he's got himself into this time...

I might be able to make them as well. I've got plenty of spare plate steel. It'd be a challenge to see if the bastard could make 4 reasonably close copies, though.

Don
                  This is the bastard I was talking about -- not you Don.

They really rip the metal away and then you can smooth it all up with a 2nd Cut file.

Good luck.

Comment

The flanges I have will accommodate a 38.5 (1 1/2") pipe. Inside of mounting holes measures 48mm and outside measures 70mm. Let me know if these will work for you. Paul

Comment

Finally had the chance to check/measure.

The mounting holes on the flanges pictured above are 57mm on the inside, and 75mm on the outside.
                      The holes on the head itself are 55mm on the inside, and 67mm on the outside.

I don't your flanges will work. I really appreciate you checking, though. Looks like I'll have to make some (unless I see that GP Werks is doing another run in stainless...)
                      Last edited by Guest; 05-05-2013, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Finally had the chance to check/measure.

The mounting holes on the flanges pictured above are 57mm on the inside, and 75mm on the outside.
                        The holes on the head itself are 55mm on the inside, and 67mm on the outside.

I don't your flanges will work. I really appreciate you checking, though. Looks like I'll have to make some (unless I see that GP Werks is doing another run in stainless...)

Maybe I'm not quite getting it... your numbers (55 inside and 67 outside) will seem to work with my flanges (48 inside ((closer than yours)) and 70 outside ((wider than yours))

Comment

Hah, it could very well be me that doesn't get it. I'll take you up on your offer and send a PM over with my information.

And thanks again. You're really throwing me a bone here—

Don

Comment

Don,
                            Your flanges are on their way via USPS. PM about to be sent. Good luck, Paul

Comment

Working...
                            X