leaky fuel bowls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leaky fuel bowls

Hi all, I've replaced the gaskets on my VM carbs and the fuel bowls still leak when the bike is on the side stand.

Do I need to paint them with gasket shellac or something? I've never needed to do anything like that before. I've even reused bowl gaskets with no ill effects.

Originally I set the floats to 26 mm per the chart, but one of them was leaking gas while riding so I lowered them all to 28 mm for good measure. I also use the fuel level hose attachment and they are all just about even with the bottom of the gasket flange. Also there are no nicks on the mating surfaces. I don't want to crank down the bowl screws too much harder and risk stripping the carb bodies.

Any advice?

Sounds like the fuel level is too high. Doubt the problem is the gaskets leaking, rather the carbs are overflowing.

Fuel level for the GS1000 should be 3-5mm below the edge of the float bowl, per the factory service manual. Gs750 should be similar.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I'll double check then. Though I would still expect the gaskets to be under the fuel level while the bike is on the side stand, even if the fuel level is 5 MM below the flange.

Comment

are they actually leaking from the gasket surfaces or from the overflow tubes?
        if it is the gasket mating surface, are you sure the surfaces are spotless clean, no trace of old gasket material causing a bad seal?
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

It leaks from the gasket seals when the bike is on the sidestand. Yes I carefully cleaned the old gasket material off, and did not nick the surfaces. I don't understand why even if the gasket is under the fuel level that it would not perform it's function and seal the mating surfaces.. I guess I'll just torque the bowl screws tighter and pray I don't strip the carb threads.

Comment

Originally posted by althomas101 View Post
            It leaks from the gasket seals when the bike is on the sidestand. Yes I carefully cleaned the old gasket material off, and did not nick the surfaces. I don't understand why even if the gasket is under the fuel level that it would not perform it's function and seal the mating surfaces.. I guess I'll just torque the bowl screws tighter and pray I don't strip the carb threads.
            they should seal, maybe you are just not tightening them enough. are they genuine suzuki gaskets or cheap pattern ones?

it doesn't sound like a float issue. if you can stop the leak i would put the float height back to spec or it could cause you running issues.
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

I got them from Z1 I can't remember but I think they were K&L. Exactly I'm already 1MM below spec on the float level. I swear if I have to pull these carbs another time I'm going to have a brain anurism.

Comment

try a smear of grease or mating surface sealer on the gaskets. it is not the perfect solution but if it cures the problem, so be it.
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

The fuel level shouldn't be up that high in the first place (those gaskets won't hold back fuel even when they are perfect).

You either have worn float needles and / or seats, your floats are sticking or you float levels are wrong.
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                  X