compression lock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

compression lock?

Hey everyone i have a question that seems to have not been answered alot.
    I have a 1980 gs 1000g that seemingly runs fine all but a slight tapping sound coming from the
    Right side of the engine. Anyways i been having a problem with gas coming out of my airbox and its just a little bit. I only realize it the next morning after riding it. And while this is happening my bike seems to be flooding i would say. When i press the starter and hold it like you would NORMALLY sometimes it would just stop turning over and make a hissing sound like a leak coming from somewhere.(sound like from spark plugs). After i push the starter a couple of times(like 2 or 3) it would turn over fine.
    Any suggestions and i apologize for the book.

Sorry i meant to say before i ride it i notice gas coming out the airbox.

Comment

Originally posted by h1ghw4ym4n5 View Post
      Sorry i meant to say before i ride it i notice gas coming out the airbox.
      Time to check your petcock- gas leaking out airbox means problems!
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yes...that could be a sign of HYDROLOCK. I would take the carbs off and visually verify the float needles rise and fall freely and reliably. Also while they are off, reverify the float heights..sure to measure without the bowl gasket there.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Yep, your cylinders are filling with gas due to your petcock and carbs leaking, which causes hydrolock. I'd be real careful, in extreme cases you can actually bend a connecting rod from this.

Comment

I would change the oil too before restarting the engine.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddevill View Post
              Yep, your cylinders are filling with gas due to your petcock and carbs leaking, which causes hydrolock. I'd be real careful, in extreme cases you can actually bend a connecting rod from this.
              This. 750 had this problem when I bought it. I bought a new petcock.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                I would change the oil too before restarting the engine.
                i second this. my petcock was leaking and filled my crankcase 2 times before i got everything sorted out.

Gas in your oil is a Baaaaad thing.

Comment

Holly crap my engkne oil is super filled. Dammit. But i rebuilt the petcock as in new gaskets as soon as u fit the gaskets on tight and the dont move the lever nothing comes out of the petcock at all but even when the bike is on and running no gas at all. Even stalls because of no gas. But the minute u turn the lever all HELL breaks loose and it doesnt stop flowing no matter where u turn it

Comment

Hi,

It's a well-known issue around here that petcock rebuild kits don't work that well. Get a new petcock. Go through the maintenance lists in the "mega-welcome".

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                    X