Airbox Sealing.. Believe it!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbox Sealing.. Believe it!!

So my symptoms were classic... runs good at start, then once it warms up, idle goes nuts... 2500-3000 or more. Had to leave it in gear with clutch half out at stoplights for fear of roasting the motor. Used the search function and read countless posts on the topic, which mostly all alluded to a leaky intake system. Thanks to some of the wily veterans on the forum..namely Cliff, Bwinger, Nessism.. for their brimming over confidence in the diagnosis of these kinds of common problems.

Long story short, I bought O-rings and boots and weatherstripping and did up the whole kit-and-kaboodle... and sure as hell... when I put everything back together and went for a rip, the idle stayed at a nice 1000 every time I stopped for a light. This is a massive victory in my books. Thanks to every single soul who has contributed to this forum. I'm sure I saved myself 500$ that I would have spent taking this to a garage. Not to mention the sublime satisfaction I received doing it myself. GSR is awesome.

Nice to hear a successful end to a problem, but I do believe that it was probably the intake boot o-rings, rather than the airbox sealing that kept your idle speed down.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You may be right Steve, but for the 6$ spent on the weatherstripping, I was taking no chances since I had it all torn down anyways.

Comment

Working...
      X