another bogs down at half throttle question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another bogs down at half throttle question

1981 gs1000g. I am getting tired of working on this bike. Purchased bike last fall, changed oil/filter and gear oils. Cleaned and oiled k&n air filter and sealed air box. The bike ran fantastic, plenty of power and excellent throttle response.
    Weather got cold so started the maintenance per basscliff website and suzuki manual. All replacement parts oem. All valve clearance within spec. New intake air boots and 0-rings. Carbs strip and dip all passages clean. Replaced needle valves and seats and pilot jets with oem parts. Used same needle jet and main jet as they looked good.
    Put it all back together. Had to back fuel screw out 1/2 turn as rpms increased as bike warmed up. Vacuum synced with borrowed tool.
    Bike starts easy and idles great. Plenty of power up to about 1/2 throttle then starts to bog down. It will pull through it eventually at full throttle.
    Since I went back with same main and needle jets I assume I had messed up float level. Made a tool to check and level was about 7mm below top of bowl at the rear of carbs. Carbs are inclined forward with bike on center stand. Took carbs off and level is 3mm from top of bowl when carbs are level.
    Doing a throttle chop from 1/2 throttle is not feasible for me unless I check the plugs on the side of the road.
    My question, Do you think I need to increase or decrease my float heights ?

Originally posted by luvnwunderwoman View Post
    1981 gs1000g. I am getting tired of working on this bike.
    Let me know when I can come down and pick it up.

Does a clear title come with it?

Made a tool to check and level was about 7mm below top of bowl at the rear of carbs. Carbs are inclined forward with bike on center stand. Took carbs off and level is 3mm from top of bowl when carbs are level.
    Specification is 4.5-5.5mm, measured at the centerline of the carb. The picture in the manual shows the carb level.

Doing a throttle chop from 1/2 throttle is not feasible for me unless I check the plugs on the side of the road.
    You telling me that you live so far out in the sticks that there is not a Wal-Mart parking lot within a few minutes of your house? ANYPLACE that has a small parking lot will work, if you can get a run down the street then cut the engine and coast into the lot.

My question, Do you think I need to increase or decrease my float heights ?
    Yes, you do.

Read your spark plugs, you will know the answer to your own question.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have at times with a running issue as yours I will open up the air box lid a little or possibly block off the air inlet slightly with some duct tape,cardboard or whatever.Leaning and richining things out and how it effects the running condition therefore knowing which way to go and possibly what to look for.Also look at the carb bowl vent positions,hose routing,any obstructions etc.Gas cap vented,petcock flowing etc. since it ran good before you might have just over looked some thing simple.
      sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Working...
      X