Mixture screw "o" rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mixture screw "o" rings

Hi there, noobie here. Bought my 82 GS650 new in 84 still in the crate. It had been in a dealership fire. Now has about 7500 miles. Gave it to my sister a couple years back and it mostly sat so the carbs got all gunked up. I pulled them and cleaned them but didnt pull the mixture screws till the 2nd time (still ran crappy)

So, I find there is pretty much no "o" rings left in there and only 2 had washers. Where to find the correct "o" rings? Also wondering if I need to run the rubber plugs under the pilot jets? They are pretty rotted as well, Thanks

cycleorings.com is where we get the kits. I would suggest a full teardown and dipping to get them fully clean and back to new status.

Yess on the plugs...otherwise, the pilot circuit will not work right..If Robert doenst have them its a dealer part thats readily available.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Yes, you need the rubber plugs, as well.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Carbs have been dipped now, just waiting for my o-rings. Thanks for the super fast replies.

Comment

Nice looking bike. You might want to perform some plug chops to make sure the mixture is okay since installing the pipe. Your engine will run hot if the mixture is lean. A Dynojet kit is normally recommended when installing a header and/or pod air filters.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. xracer390,

Tried and true maintenance procedures and other wisdom can be found in the links below. Read it, learn it, live it, love it. Your motorcycling life will be better for it, I guarantee it.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
            Help! Your Bike Won't Start
            DON'T DO THESE THINGS
            Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
            Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Im back, got my "O" rings and put it all together. Still idles like crap. Blew air and carb cleaner through every nook and cranny and orifice/passage ect...intake boots look great and I replaced the bog "O" rings there. Read and re-read everything I could here.

It also takes a bit to idle down after letting off the throttle, throttle moves freely, slides move freely. I had to jump it and it seems the batt is junk. Does this bike require good voltage in the batt to run right? Its on Craigslist now if you want it. Bryan

Comment

www.z1enterprises.com will have the rubber pilot plugs, they are a must. Yes you need good voltage going to your coils for good spark. If your rpms are slow to return to idle that tells me you have air leaks or your pilot screws are set too lean. Someone else will have a more expert opinion than myself, this is just my experience.

Where do you live, I would like to find it on craigslist ?
                Last edited by Guest; 06-08-2013, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Hi Mr. xracer390,

Where are you? What Craigslist?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by xracer390 View Post
                    Still idles like crap. Blew air and carb cleaner through every nook and cranny and orifice/passage ect...intake boots look great and I replaced the bog "O" rings there. ......

It also takes a bit to idle down after letting off the throttle, throttle moves freely, slides move freely. Its on Craigslist now if you want it. Bryan
                    The poor idle and the high idle hang up scream intake leak; Boots can look great, but disturbing them ( i.e. pulling carbs out once ,twice,etc.) can mean they won't tighten up enuff by clamps. Also minute cracks can develop- remember they are 31 years old.
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Crage View Post
                      www.z1enterprises.com will have the rubber pilot plugs, they are a must. Yes you need good voltage going to your coils for good spark. If your rpms are slow to return to idle that tells me you have air leaks or your pilot screws are set too lean. Someone else will have a more expert opinion than myself, this is just my experience.

Where do you live, I would like to find it on craigslist ?

Comment

Working...
                      X