No announcement yet.

Leaking carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's difficult to tell from my end- I'd be suspicious of o-ring. It has to be a snug fit going down hole and then when gas hits it, it will swell up a bit to make a tight seal. It is 30 years old remember. These are standard buna plumbing o-rings commonly available but you need a vernier caliper to measure the diameter at bottom of groove. O-rings are sold based on ID and cross section thickeness. If you got a Suzuki dealer nearby, I try them- probably a couple bucks apiece for the correct o-ring.
    this member sells o-ring kits but I'm not sure he includes the one you want;
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

You should be able to blow these up pretty big and see

Comment

Nice pics ! Personally, on 2nd pic, I say that needle seat face (and o-ring) is beat. I just tore apart my 74 honda's carb last winter- o-ring shot, but seat face was excellent still- no sign of grooves/ridges that would prevent needle from sealing. Yours seem worn in comparison.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

From my old stuff- scroll down this linked page to float needle set for $8

http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/suzuki/gs450l/?filters[category]=carb&filters[fitting]=custom

I've never bought anything from these guys, so I can't vouch for their correctness; sometimes pics don't show the exact item.
          My nearby and very expensive Suzuki dealer -alphasports- lists a set at $45. Yikes!
          You could do a search on ebay of course
          1981 gs650L

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            From my old stuff- scroll down this linked page to float needle set for $8

http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/suzuki/gs450l/?filters[category]=carb&filters[fitting]=custom

I've never bought anything from these guys, so I can't vouch for their correctness; sometimes pics don't show the exact item.
            My nearby and very expensive Suzuki dealer -alphasports- lists a set at $45. Yikes!
            You could do a search on ebay of course
            Thanks!
            I'll pick up a couple sets for $8

Comment

Originally posted by incarceration View Post
              Thanks!
              I'll pick up a couple sets for $8
              Sounds smart. Ordinarily, the non mikuni aftermarket carb parts are iffy, but I think for the float needle/seat set, this is OK (provided they fit without hammering) If you do eventually do the full carb cleaning, remember to NOT buy any carb rebuild kits- clean what you got and just get new o-rings from cycleorings and bowl gaskets.

So new petcock and new needle/seat should solve the overflowing carb problem which was where this all started a long time ago! Good luck- hurricane season starts soon!
              1981 gs650L

Comment

Yeah right now I've bought a new petcock, new bowl gaskets, new bowl drain screw o-rings, all new allan key screws for the top of the diaphram, float bowl, and the 2 brackets, and then i'll get those 2 $8 sets

Comment

Remember that new float needle/seats will be slightly different length, so you will have to adjust float height!

Since this thread has grown very long, consider starting a new one if you have questions about adjusting float heights.
                  1981 gs650L

Comment

Found this, figured you and anyone else following this or happens to stumble upon this thread useful:

Comment

Working...
                    X