Fuel problem help ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel problem help ?

I have an 82 gs 550 L with 4200 miles everything is good , compression 120 psi , now good spark , carbs were done by shop for last owner. Drained tank noticed when draining through pet cock with vacuum hooked up fuel flow would stop , is this normal ? Fuel was dark replaced fuel and added sea foam . Thanks for any help

fuel will only flow from the petcock freely when it is set to PRIme position. ON and REServe will only flow when the engine is running and the vacuum pipe is connected from the petcock to the carbs
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

If the petcock was turned to ON or RES instead of PRIME when you were draining, yes, that would be normal behaviour
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I always had Kawasaki's . I miss read the pet cock , I thought down was off and pri was primary . If I was running it on prim would the bike run bad , and should the fuel stop flowing on reserve with the bike running with vacuum hooked up ?

Comment

It sounds like both your petcock and your carbs need attention.
          Probably a lot of other things too, unless you have maintenance records.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by bearrocco View Post
            I always had Kawasaki's . I miss read the pet cock , I thought down was off and pri was primary . If I was running it on prim would the bike run bad , and should the fuel stop flowing on reserve with the bike running with vacuum hooked up ?
            read my first post....... the fuel will flow on REServe if the engine is running, and stop flowing when the engine stops.

DO NOT leave the petcock on PRIme unless you are filling the carbs after a rebuild or you have drained them. the bike will run ok but if left on when the engine has stopped you risk flooding the engine with fuel, or dumping the entire contents of the tank on the floor!
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
              read my first post....... the fuel will flow on REServe if the engine is running, and stop flowing when the engine stops.

DO NOT leave the petcock on PRIme unless you are filling the carbs after a rebuild or you have drained them. the bike will run ok but if left on when the engine has stopped you risk flooding the engine with fuel, or dumping the entire contents of the tank on the floor!
              If I can hijack for a moment, is there a rule of thumb for how long to leave on prime with freshly rebuilt carbs? IE prime for ten seconds the switch to on?

Comment

Ten seconds, a minute, does not really matter but do not leave it there.

I turn it on until it starts or the first time I think to turn it off. Minute or less for sure. I ride a lot of dirt bikes so I won't forget the petcock

Comment

Originally posted by ThrottleBack View Post
                  If I can hijack for a moment, is there a rule of thumb for how long to leave on prime with freshly rebuilt carbs? IE prime for ten seconds the switch to on?
                  30 seconds is plenty to get enough fuel into the bowls to allow it to start up. the vacuum will then take over when switched to ON.
                  1978 GS1085.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Thanks , I'm going to drain carb bowls see what comes out , are those screws on the bottom of the bowls drains ? sorry about all the questions ,my z1r1000 had drains with hoses

Comment

Yes, the large brass screws are drains. Just crack them, you don't have to take them out unless they are clogged up.

Comment

This bike is goofy . Let is sit over night , just started it up with fuel in the on position , all cylinders hitting , idled down running great. restarted fine Guess that sea foam is working

Comment

Yeah, Seafoam will adjust the valves, fix any electrical issues, and keep air in the twenty year old tires, too.

Comment

Sounds like it's almost as good as Marvel Mystery Oil.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X