Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Central Ohio - looking to pay for a carb rebuild

Hi All,

Not the usual post, I'm sure, but I'm looking to pay someone within not too far driving distance from central Ohio (I'm in central Columbus) between $15 and $20 an hour, not to exceed $150 total, to finish my carb rebuild, possibly with my assistance, possibly without.

I've already removed and disassembled the carbs, cleaned them with carb dip, got my o-ring kit from cycleorings.com, plus the extras he recommends. I used all the guides and advice on here to guide my work. With the exception of one jet pilot getting stuck, which I had to ask a favor of a more handy mechanic friend to remove, the disassembly was painless enough. (Given that [the easier] half of the job is done, this shouldn't take someone experienced anywhere near 7-8 hours, but that's how I came up with the max payout above.)

However, reassembly is a bigger challenge, and between a 40-50 hr/wk job, freelance work on the side, taking on another contract job, joining a non-profit's board, plus two dogs and trying to maintain some kind of social life, I can't find the time to finish the job.

Besides that, when it comes to work like this, I really learn better hands-on with a teacher. Which leads me to this request. The only swing factor is that on top of everything else, I just bought a house and have to move - hence the whole "maybe I'll just pay someone outright to do this." If I can find the hours to set aside and assist, that would be great so I can do it myself next time, but I just want it done more than anything.

I'm tired of not having the bike as an option for transportation, and I'd like to be able to ride it to the new house rather than haul it. I'm looking to have this work done sometime within the next two weekends. I can arrange for you to be able to work whenever works best for you (I own my current place as well, my tenants next door are very trustworthy, often home when I am not, and have garage access). Heck, you could even take the carbs with you, rebuild them at your garage, bring'em back and install here. That would need some kind of good faith gesture though, or you being a recognized member of this forum (I'm not exactly new, but not a regular).

I know there are a number of users in the area, some within a reasonably close driving distance. If any of you have a lighter schedule than me and could use or wouldn't mind some extra pocket money, please PM me.

About the bike:

1982 Suzuki GS 550L, pictured I believe. Around 30k miles. It has some other issues, like a tear in one of the air intake boots (not engine side, air box side). I haven't found a replacement for that, but someone suggested I could maybe get away with using epoxy. The carbs are the current hurdle though and I'd like to get them finished. Hoping someone can assist!

Thanks,

Lucero

P.S. If you know any forum members in my area personally, maybe direct them here if you think they'd be interested.

Try this perhaps....

It has some other issues, like a tear in one of the air intake boots (not engine side, air box side). I haven't found a replacement for that, but someone suggested I could maybe get away with using epoxy

I have had some success with a product called "Shoe Goo" on a 1982 Honda CX500 with a similar problem...
    Currently in the Stable :
    2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
    1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
    - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

I can help you
      If you sell parts or provide services for GS series motorcycles, place a description of it in this forum.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Two replies, and already all the info I need; that's what I love about this site. Bill, expect a PM from me sometime today (at work currently).

Comment

Wow, that took less tahn three hours! Keep us posted on cycle time and such.

Comment

New airbox boots are still available for that bike - I replaced mine just two years ago (same model, they're in the air cleaner fiche, parts 9, 10 for the boots and 11, 12 for support rings and clamps). Buying a complete set with the two inner and two outer boots, two rings for the outer boots, and four clamps is about $63 from G&S Suzuki (less S/H). You can try repairing the boots you have, but new boots will be more supple and shouldn't rip for another couple of decades. They would also ease the carb removal/reinstallation process in the future. Your head-side boots would run more like $100 but you probably knew that.

With a new house and all that goes with that money might be too tight to justify that. If you want I'll look at my old airbox boots and see if they're reasonably re-usable. Just PM me.

Comment

Do realize that when you get your perfectly rebuilt carburetors back you are still going to have to adjust and synchronize The carburetors for your particular bike. There are no plug and play carburetors, but they will be close.
              '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

@OldVet66 Yup, aware of that. Thanks though!

Comment

@mike Yeah, I'll definitely have to consider the cost. Money is tight. Want this bike running though!

Comment

I am close enough to help you put them together, put them on the bike AND sync them.

You need a valve adjustment, too? Have shims, will travel.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Actaul "hands on " time for a full rebuild is only 2 or 3 hrs anyway...the time consuming factor is the waiting out the dipping times.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        I am close enough to help you put them together, put them on the bike AND sync them.

Hey Lucero, Do this...all problems solved

Comment

Steve,
                          I'm in Colorado. Thats close enough too, right? HA!

Comment

Originally posted by Chum View Post
                            Steve,
                            I'm in Colorado. Thats close enough too, right? HA!
                            Sure.

I'll put you on the list along with tkent.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

there you go being an a-hole again, steve...

greg
                              1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Working...
                              X