Carb Float Height Tool (pic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Float Height Tool (pic)

Well I was going to make a float height tool but I didn't have any extra drain screws for my carbs. My local hardware store didn't have anything either. I started searching the OEM screw and most places what 8+ bucks for that sucker!

I started doing some other searches and came across this on ebay for about 13 bucks shipped: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=281117176357
    Edit: Here is another link for the guys in the UK: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-Z1-...7d7c20&vxp=mtr

It's actually has a Kawasaki part number, but works fine on my GS carbs. I don't remember the part number but I will edit the post for future reference if I find it. Hope this helps someone.

Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2013, 06:48 PM.

Why not take a ride to hd/lowes/ace/etc and get some fittings? few bucks and no wait

Comment

Read below:

Originally posted by Crage View Post
      My local hardware store didn't have anything either. I started searching the OEM screw and most places what 8+ bucks for that sucker!

Comment

I drilled a hole and soldered a tube into four old drain screws. They look a lot like the one in your picture.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yeap, didnt have an extra drain screw and apparently they are made of gold. Have you tried to buy one?

Do you solder or braze?

Comment

Yeap, didnt have an extra drain screw and apparently they are made of gold. Have you tried to buy one?

Do you solder or braze?
            Soldered it using a brass tube. The screws are brass. I went into a local bike wrecking yard a few years before that and bought a little bag of the drain screws along with some assorted VM carbs, seems like it costs almost nothing.
            It seems POs love to let their float bowls fill with rust and then back the screws out until the threads are ruined, so the bag of good ones has been handy.

Comment

Nice, I don't know of any bike yards around here but I'm quickly amassing my own. Honestly the 12 bucks was worth my time spent on other things.

Comment

I made 4 of my own using a M6 X 0.75 Male Steel Grease Fitting. Just drill the ball out and hook a tube to it.

www.mcmaster.com/#1105K16

Comment

Originally posted by RobG1970 View Post
                  I made 4 of my own using a M6 X 0.75 Male Steel Grease Fitting. Just drill the ball out and hook a tube to it.

Nice.................

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    Nice.................

Thanks, they worked great....

Comment

I was thinking of putting them on and taking a little ride with a video camera aimed at it...
                      Just curious how steady they actually are.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        I was thinking of putting them on and taking a little ride with a video camera aimed at it...
                        Just curious how steady they actually are.
                        hmmmm.......that would be cool.... I would like to see that, but maybe not try it..LOL... I put the on/off air regulators for a fish tank on the end to stop gas from flowing out...less of a mess...

Comment

Read below:
                          read right past that, my bad.

Originally posted by RobG1970 View Post

Perfect, gotta pick up two of them

Comment

That is definitely a better alternative for the folks that don't have a way to solder or braze. I have access to all the tools a man can possibly want. I was just tired of searching for the pieces to make my own. The time I saved was well worth the 5 extra bucks I paid.

Comment

On my GS1100s I just use a plastic hose nipple thats a size that will screw in the hole in the float bowl. It makes its own threads and wont leak or hurt that threads in the Cv float bowls. Then I stick a piece of clear hose on it & tie wrap it along side of the carb. Works for me anyway & its cheap enough. I measure & set them first and they usually come out right on the money when I wet test them

Comment

Working...
                              X