Gs1000 4-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs1000 4-1

I have submitted a separate thread for a used 4-1 but was wondering if the road V&H can have the baffle removed as the drag version which I understand is less restrictive.

Cheers

that will work nicely.
    depending on elevation, you will need to jet up/ 122.5?, 125? 127.5? depends on air box/pods, etc

Comment

Running standard airbox at mo so 122?

Cheers

Comment

my GS1000 with stock airbox and Harris race pipe ran perfect on stock mains, just lifted the needles a notch.
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
          my GS1000 with stock airbox and Harris race pipe ran perfect on stock mains, just lifted the needles a notch.
          This every time - I've never put new jets in for a Harris on its own (without air filter mods that is). Still the same on a 550:

(I was deciding which colour wheels). Now that pipe is about as rare as a very rare thing nowadays - I've not seen one on another 550 for a loooong time.

I've got 102.5s fitted with the Marving, needle clip as standard.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by madreg View Post
            ... but was wondering if the road V&H can have the baffle removed as the drag version which I understand is less restrictive.
            Running standard airbox at mo so 122?
            Standard airbox and an un-baffled pipe?

Seems a bit counter-productive, unless you simply want the noise.

If you are wanting to remove the baffle to allow more air flow, you would do better to "uncork" the airbox and leave the stock exhaust on the bike. The stock airbox is FAR more restrictive than the stock exhaust.

Will it pass MOT?

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Standard airbox and an un-baffled pipe?

Seems a bit counter-productive, unless you simply want the noise.

If you are wanting to remove the baffle to allow more air flow, you would do better to "uncork" the airbox and leave the stock exhaust on the bike. The stock airbox is FAR more restrictive than the stock exhaust.

Will it pass MOT?

Steve, you will be amazed at what a difference just a pipe makes, without messing with the airbox!

yes it will pass the MOT as long as it hasn't got "not for highway use" on it. pre '85 bikes can get away with anything (within reason)
              1978 GS1085.

Comment

Steve, you will be amazed at what a difference just a pipe makes, without messing with the airbox!
                I hope to be discovering that in another month or so, when I get "Junior" back up and running. I kept the pipe off my son's 850 when we sold it, and will be putting it on Junior. Son's bike came to us with a pipe, so never got a "before and after" comparison. Only went for a short ride on it after re-installing stock exhaust, so not much of an impression there, either.

Junior will end up with stock airbox, in which a K&N filter resides, and the pipe, which I have been led to believe is a Jardine. Really nice sound, am hoping it works well on the road.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

i'm not sure how much free flowing the K&N replacement filter is compared to stock, probably quite a lot better so you will probably have to up the mains a size or 2 for that and the pipe, ( i guess).......
                  1978 GS1085.

Comment

Total cost of the motogpworks is $843 (approx. £530) - nearly half is postage and import tax, bit steep for me - Marvin is £313, does not look as nice but £200 cheaper

Comment

I have submitted a separate thread for a used 4-1 but was wondering if the road V&H can have the baffle removed as the drag version which I understand is less restrictive.

Cheers
                      I'm running the V & H street meg. & the baffle can definitely be removed.
                      80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

i'm not sure how much free flowing the K&N replacement filter is compared to stock, probably quite a lot better so you will probably have to up the mains a size or 2 for that and the pipe, ( i guess).......
                        I swapped jets with my son's 850 before we sold the bike. They are 125s, which is 4 sizes larger.

I also have some needles that were given to me to try. They are so tapered, they make the stock needles look like they are cylindrical, with no taper at all.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                        X