Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike running fast will buy beer

Hi guys need some help on this one

Just finished putting my bike gs 550m with pods back together and it runs fast when i put vacuum line on and have no control of idle speed take it off and slows down , what adjustments need to be made so that i have control over this .issue

Cheers

Probably all of them. Have you jetted it for the pods?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

yes i think yo are correct , I think i will now that i have got it to this point pay the money to get this on a Dyno tune and find the sweet spot ...

As i cant stop ,mucking around with the bike tomorrow i will try the mixture screws and see my findings .

cheers

Comment

I think you should give up trying and gift your 550M to me...

By disconnecting the vacuum line (I'm assuming you mean the one to the gas tank (EDIT-petcock)) you are creating a big air leak, and it really shouldn't run well at all, however...it's kind of doing the opposite of what one would expect. Normally an air leak ==> lean ==> high idle.

What's going on inside the carbs? As TKent asked, have you gone to larger main jets (possibly MUCH larger) for the pods?

As for continuing to run without the "vacuum" line, how long are you running it without? The bike should eventually run out of fuel (EDIT- the carbs should be fuel starved) if you are not running with the vacuum line attached and in either ON or RES(erve) Are you running the bike on PRIME in this condition?
        Last edited by BigD_83; 06-08-2013, 08:11 PM. Reason: clarification
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

They do make an inline four Dynojet kit for your bike. I'd get that, follow the easy instructions and come back here with results.
          I bet your pilot jet rubber plugs are not installed to run fine with a huge air leak. I'm a Cleveland sport fan so betting is a thing of the past.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by kinetica01 View Post
            Hi guys need some help on this one

Just finished putting my bike gs 550m with pods back together and it runs fast when i put vacuum line on and have no control of idle speed take it off and slows down , what adjustments need to be made so that i have control over this .issue

Cheers
            I'm not exactly clear on what line you are connecting and disconnecting. Click this: New Members, CLICK HERE!!

Read everything. Then click the links and read everything. Then click the links in everything you've read and read some more. There are lots of pictures too. This will give you more background information and understanding so that you can ensure all of the hoses and cables are properly connected, and you can explain more precisely your symptoms and what it is we can do to help you. There may be a manual that will be of some help on my little website.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
            X