Not reaching full potential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not reaching full potential

I just picked up my GS1000 from having the topend rebuilt and getting into working order. The bike had been sitting in a storage unit before i bought it and the chain had rusted up. I took the bike out for a ride, after lubing the heck out of the chain, and there still in a tight spot. When in 5th gear the bike will only reach 180 kmh and will not rev over 6000 rpm. Is this a carb problem or can a bummed chain cause this? I have heard a bad chain can mimic lean surge.

Don't know if the top-end was done properly but it does sound like carbs.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Something is wrong with your clocks as well - your bike running properly won't do 160mph in stock format (based on your kph / revs figures).

And if your chain was that bad I wouldn't want to do over a 100 mph with it still fitted.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Ya i figured it may be the carb. The bike runs perfect until shifting into 5th a full throttle. it doesn't want to pull any more.

Comment

If i shift near redline from 4th to 5th it will rev above 6000 and get to 180 kph but it will not accelerate past 180 in 5th. The bike will not rev over 6000 if i roll onto it already in 5th.

Comment

What year?
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

its a 1979

Comment

This is what I would do
                Check compression on a warm engine with the throttle wide open.
                Check the valve clearance on a stone cold engine.
                Check the ignition point gap and timing or get a more modern ignition. Dyna S is nice.
                Clean the carbs. There is a carb cleaning tutorial on the home page and nessism has a link on his signature.

Comment

The top end was just redone with all new valves and a complete carb job. The bike seems to be running great it just doesn't want to make it past the 180 kph (111 mph) mark.

Comment

if i was you, i would take it back to the guy who did the top end rebuild and carb job and get him to check out all his work again. you paid him to do a job which he obviously hasn't done correctly.
                    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Ha ya i think that i will be making a phone call monday.

Comment

Check the points before you go and tell him something's wrong with his work.

Comment

While it won't accelerate nearly as fast at that speed, it should still accelerate

Air resisitance, you know
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!!

Hi,

It could be several things causing your symptoms. Faulty jetting, air leaks in the intake system, faulty/dirty carbs, cam timing. Is the bike all stock? Any intake or exhaust mods? Let me send a bunch of information your way. Brace yourself.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
                            Help! Your Bike Won't Start
                            DON'T DO THESE THINGS
                            Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
                            Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                            Last edited by Guest; 06-09-2013, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome BassCliff. The bike has 4-1 Wolf Racing header, Dynatek ignition system, what seems to be a stock air box, and the carbs have been changed. Not sure on the carb size just that they have been changed.

Comment

Working...
                              X