1980 GS 750 Jetting with Pods and V&H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS 750 Jetting with Pods and V&H

Hey all I picked up a nice vance and hines exhaust for my 1980 GS 750 and once I started reading the directions for jetting I got kind of lost. On the vance and hines spec sheet it gives 3 different GS750 models all with different Jetting Specs. The link for the spec sheet is below. I took out a 112.5 main and swapped it for a 122.5 (all my local dealer had) the pilots that were in it were 17.5's I am guessing some one upped them before I got bike. Is anyone out there running this exhaust on this year bike with Pod filter, and can you give me some hints. Sorry if I have been rambling I have been in garage sniffing gas and carbon monoxide fumes all day trying to get her to run right I have 54mm pod filters on bike.

http://static.chaparral-racing.com/R...5CV12001-P.pdf

thank you
    Last edited by Guest; 06-08-2013, 07:25 PM.

Originally posted by EricEder141 View Post
    Hey all I picked up a nice vance and hines exhaust for my 1980 GS 750 and once I started reading the directions for jetting I got kind of lost. On the vance and hines spec sheet it gives 3 different GS750 models all with different Jetting Specs. The link for the spec sheet is below. I took out a 112.5 main and swapped it for a 122.5 (all my local dealer had) the pilots that were in it were 17.5's I am guessing some one upped them before I got bike. Is anyone out there running this exhaust on this year bike with Pod filter, and can you give me some hints. Sorry if I have been rambling I have been in garage sniffing gas and carbon monoxide fumes all day trying to get her to run right I have 54mm pod filters on bike.

http://static.chaparral-racing.com/R...5CV12001-P.pdf

thank
    I've seen 80 750s withg CV carbs with 40 pilot jets but not 17.5s. I'd go with a 42.5 pilot jet.
    This may be a 79 which means you have VM carbs.
    I'm not sure how to advice.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

you need to establish whether you have the 2 valve or the 4 valve engine. then follow the instructions. your bike is a 1980 so ignoring the 83 onwards, that only leaves you 2 options.
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
        you need to establish whether you have the 2 valve or the 4 valve engine. then follow the instructions. your bike is a 1980 so ignoring the 83 onwards, that only leaves you 2 options.
        What is the best way to decipher between the two?? the vin or some type of stamp on engine??

I can also tell you that when I swapped out the mains there were 4 screws holding the bottom of the bowl, and 4 screws on the top of the carb (I tried to take the needles to lower the clip but the pliers I had were not long enough to get down there and take the c-clips out in order to get to the needle)
        Last edited by Guest; 06-08-2013, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Round cam covers on the side of the engine (79 and eight valve)
          Rectangular cam covers (80 and sixteen valve)
          CV carbs (80) have round tops
          VM carbs (79) have a three screw tower type cover
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

the 2 valve engine has round end caps on the cam cover and the 4v has square/rectangular caps
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
              the 2 valve engine has round end caps on the cam cover and the 4v has square/rectangular caps
              That's simplifies things a lot thank you,

I also took a look in service book and according to the pictures I have BS carbs... I am going to get the right tool this week and drop the needle hopefully that gets me into the ballpark of where I need to be.

PS Vance and Hines makes a great system and saved me about 15 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by EricEder141 View Post
                PS Vance and Hines makes a great system and saved me about 15 lbs
                Just wait a few years until it starts rusting out from the inside. My baffle rusted and broke in half along with big holes in the megaphone

Comment

Working...
                X