'83 GS450L - No fuel in cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'83 GS450L - No fuel in cylinders

I had a previous thread where I was all of a sudden one morning and afternoon having fuel leaking out the overflow hose from the airbox all over the ground. I took it apart, cleaned out the carbs with isopropyl alcohol and also replaced the petcock with a new OEM petcock. I also replaced all the screws on both carbs with allen key headed screws. I replaced the float bowl gaskets too with OEM gaskets and I replaced the o-rings on the float bowl drain screws as well. And lastly, I replaced the vacuum line hose from carb #2 to the new petcock as it was stiff as a dehydrated noodle.

After finally getting all the parts I ordered and putting it back together, I tried cranking it up and it does not fire up at all. It'll try and try but I am 90% sure I'm not getting any fuel into my cylinders. I AM getting fuel into my float bowls, but nothing into the cylinders. I take the spark plugs out and check the electrodes and neither of them are wet at all or even smell like gas.

I hooked up all of the hoses back, which was only 1 going to the carbs as the other 2 are breather hoses and then the 2 going to the petcock (larger being fuel line and smaller being the vacuum line to carb #2.) When I was inside of the carbs and cleaning it, I cleaned the inside of the float needle assembly where the needle goes as well as the float needle itself with isopropyl alcohol in both carbs.

What am I missing? What can I check? Do I need to take them both off again and check something inside?

Thanks

have you tried starting it with the petcock in the PRIme position?
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Tried starting it in the PRI, ON, and RES position :\

Comment

pull the fuel pipe off the pet cock and turn it to PRIme. is any fuel coming out the pet cock?
        1978 GS1085.

Comment

You mean off the fuel intake to the T connect in between the carbs? It filled up the float bowls so I would assume it is. I can go try and pull it off the T connector and check though

Comment

if it fills up the float bowls then that is ok. if it is not getting from the float bowls to the cylinders then you need to pull the carbs again and see what you have assembled wrongly after the rebuild.
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Holy crap I just went and tried starting it. Put it in PRI and then tried starting it with the choke completely to the left (on) and it started right up and was revving up at like 8,000 RPMs, WTF?

Is it doing that because it's in PRIme position?

EDIT: I just put it into ON instead of PRIme and it still is starting RIGHT up and revving SO fast and I can't stop it so I cut it off immediately.

If I jiggle the throttle handle it doesn't change it. The cables are all back where I thought they were.
              Last edited by Guest; 06-09-2013, 03:52 PM.

Comment

no, but now the bowls are full, turn the tap back to RUN position. try backing the idle adjuster screw right off until it is just making contact with the linkage. also make sure there is freeplay in the throttle cable
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

Idle adjuster screw is the one attached to the plate that attaches both of the carbs to each other right?

Comment

yep, a big knurly nob!
                    1978 GS1085.

Comment

I can't friggin see if it's touching or not lol. I just adjusted the one that's attached to the throttle cable though and now it's idling at like 5,000-6,000. But I backed off the idle screw so far I don't even think it's touching the throttle linkage

Comment

is there free play in the throttle now, can you turn it 3-4mm without the linkage on the carbs moving?

if you can then something is not right with the way you have rebuilt the carbs.
                        1978 GS1085.

Comment

Ohh that's what you meant free play, like the clutch, no, there's zero free play lol

Comment

I'll go adjust that again and report back

Comment

That worked! Now how do I know where the idle screw is at is ok? I've played with that trying to fix this issue and that wasn't it, it was the throttle cable needed to backed off a bit.

Comment

Working...
                              X